Dynamic Repeating Group Cells

Is it possible for the number of cells in a Repeating Group to be determined from a field of an item.

Here’s some context:
I have a Data Type called Computer with a field type called Screen Count (Number). A Computer can have any number of Screens. e.g. 1, 2 or 3 - the Screen Count

I need to be able to record data for each screen in a log system.

Example:

• Computer A has 2 Screens
  • Computer B has 1 Screen
  • Computer C has 3 Screens.

I was thinking of using a Repeating Group to capture the data of each screen.

• If computer A is selected, the Repeating Group would have 2 cells, each with data inputs to capture and store for each screen.
  • If computer B is selected, the Repeating Group would have 1 cell, each with data inputs to capture and store for each screen.
  • If computer C is selected, the Repeating Group would have 3 cells, each with data inputs to capture and store for each screen.

If it is possible I’m guessing it’s something to do with how my expression is constructed in the Data Source but I can’t quite get it to work after trying a number of different combinations.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there, @rob8… if I have understood your post correctly, maybe it looks something like this?

coputers

If so, the inputs for each screen are grouped together, the groups for screens 2 and 3 are not visible on page load, and there are conditionals on the groups for screens 2 and 3 that look like this…

group2

group3

Think something like that could work for you? Hope it helps, even if it’s just food for thought.

Best…
Mike

Thanks a lot mike! Such a simple solution, I was really hoping to just use one repeating group and use the count of Screens to dictate how may cells are shown.

I did manage to get it working by creating a new data type which has each screen value as per a suggestions elsewhere but it’s a bit of a pain to have to use a separate data type just to handle this scenario.

The concept of a repeating group that uses a dynamic rows/columns I think could be useful for bubble.

I’ll give it a shot

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.