Editing App Data based on other App Data?

Hello,

I’m working with a partner (both relatively new to Bubble) to create a HUD App to enrich a communities roleplaying environment but we keep running in to the same problem that takes way too long to work around and I was wondering if there was an easier solution that didn’t require the work around or restarting the way we approach our Data Types.

We’ve created many aspects of a users character, most notably their inventory, and often have to access it for many things such as item collection and trading between users both of which technically work. Begrudgingly, every single item that exists is stored on a single huge Data Type with the only thing tying the item to the character is a unique character name and ID, and often we need to be able to use a different Data Type’s App Data to compare and edit that huge Inventory Data Type.

The process we’ve devised involves editing them one at a time, and it’s worked thus far but ends up being a pain in the ass and tends to add unnecessary steps on the users side. What we are looking for is a way to edit multiple entries of our Inventory App Data at the same time through a smoother workflow, ideally dictated by a specific number noted by a separate Data Types App Data via Repeating Group.

TL;DR We manually edit one item at a time of a list from our Inventory App Data through a huge ugly workflow but ultimately want to use another Data Types App Data to change multiple items at once. Like basically using a list to change multiple entries maybe?

Quick Example: Crafting List (Data Type) has 2 fields, one that dictates required items (Field of another Data Type) and their quantity (Number). Those two fields then show up in a repeating list that compares how many a player has and if they can craft. All that works. But now we need to remove all those items of the Crafting List from the inventory all at once.

Sorry if I’m not explaining things correctly, we are having a rough time trying to grasp the proper terminology for Bubble and would gladly go into further detail if it doesn’t make sense. We’ve obviously made what we want to work, but its so ugly and frustrating to have to make it work slightly differently each time we come to basically the same problem.

However, thank you for taking the time to read and do have a nice day regardless!

Hello,

I’m not 100% sure I understand but it sounds like you could do with setting up a Backend (API) workflow and Schedule this backend (API) workflow on a list. This video would be worth a watch:

Let me know if this helps.

Hey @bubble23,

It seems to me that you’re trying to perform an action on each item in a list. I think @jonathan.baxter1991 is pointing you in the right direction. :slight_smile: Share some screenshots if you’re still stuck.