Elements don't react for half a second after typing in inputs

I’m seeing an issue where after you’ve typed in an input box, there’s about a half a second delay before a button is clickable.

For example, see this video: https://www.useloom.com/share/67146f40483a4d8ab62bf64e036ce58b
If I try to press the button within the half second after typing in the box, it just doesn’t doesn’t react. If I wait a second, then click, it will react and trigger the workflow.

Seeing this on Windows 10, in both Chrome and Edge.

Edit: So I’ve now realised that this isn’t a Bubble issue at all, it’s a Windows issue! It’s happening on my machine everywhere, after I’ve typed there’s a delay before I can click. I’ve just recently switched over from Ubuntu so I’ve never noticed it before. Sorry for the noise!!

This is based on a conditional statement attached to the button, right?

This is a big usability issue for my app as well - I think it has to do with Bubble’s server-side processing speed, but we’d need someone from the Bubble team to chime with details to know for sure.

A conditional request is going to be slower than local cache - I’m hoping we’ll see some usability improvements when Bubble or the community get offline apps working.

I’m not using any conditional statements. In fact all that’s happening in the example I showed is on clicking the button, it animates. I’m not even saving any data.

The issue is not limited to clicking buttons, but basically any interaction after typing in an input box, it seems. If I have two input boxes, type in one and click on the next, the second box doesn’t get focus unless I’ve waited half a second or so.

For example: https://www.useloom.com/share/402114bd26e6478e8436646509df27d0
The video doesn’t show it very well, but as soon as I’ve typed in the input box, I’m spam clicking the second input box. It doesn’t react until at least half a second has elapsed.

me too

Are you willing to share a link to your page?

It may still be server-side rendering (SSR) creating the lag. It’s hard to say without debugging your page. If there is some javascript still executing in the background, it may be preventing you from interacting with the button since the page is still being rendered…we can’t really interact with the page much until Bubble’s javascript is done executing.

1. Does the button work before you put the cursor inside the input box?
  2. Does it start to lag only after typing in the input?
  3. Does the button continue to work after you have typed text inside of the input and you’ve waited several seconds?

Sure, here’s a quick demo: forumdemo987 | Bubble Editor

It’s just a completely blank new project with an input box and a button, button animates on click. To see the bug, type in the box and spam click the button as soon as you’ve stopped typing. It doesn’t animate until after 500-1000 ms or so. (and just to be clear, this isn’t a problem with the animation. Any workflow that happens on clicking the button won’t fire until after the delay. You can’t even give another input box focus by clicking on it until after the delay).

Does the button work before you put the cursor inside the input box?

Yes, animates instantly

Does it start to lag only after typing in the input?

It would appear so. If I’ve clicked on the input box and then quickly click the button, it will animate fine. It’s only after I’ve typed something in the input box that the delay occurs.

Does the button continue to work after you have typed text inside of the input and you’ve waited several seconds?

Yes, it works fine but only after the delay.

So I’ve now realised that this isn’t a Bubble issue at all, it’s a Windows issue! It’s happening on my machine everywhere, after I’ve typed there’s a delay before I can click. I’ve just recently switched over from Ubuntu so I’ve never noticed it before. Sorry for the noise!!

Great! This is really good info - I wonder why that issue is occurring in a Windows environment.

Oh man, I did a bad job of explaining :fearful: I meant it’s not specific to Bubble at all, it’s happening on all websites and all applications on my PC. I’m pretty sure what I’m seeing is a touchpad driver issue on my PC, and I thought it was a Bubble issue because I’ve been using it so heavily lately :grimacing:
I should have checked before posting the issue, my bad!

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.