Error using Twitter API plugin

I added the Twitter API plugin. I created an app on twitter in order to get a consumer key and secret key. I entered both values in the appropriate configuration boxes for the plugin. I added a “Sign In to Twitter” button on my page. When I click on the button (in development preview mode) I get the following error:

Error connecting to Twitter: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<hash>
  <error>Desktop applications only support the oauth_callback value 'oob'</error>
  <request>/oauth/request_token</request>
</hash>

I don’t know how to fix that. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: BTW, I just discovered Postman. I added it to Chrome and I was able to use a POST request to send a tweet! But I can’t do it within my app because I cannot authenticate with Twitter. And, the Twitter API plugin, unlike Postman, does not appear to have any configuration fields that I can set to make a successful authentication. I guess I am confused about how it works.

##Edit (again)
My problem solved! I want to make an app that sends customized tweets to the user’s twitter account. I’ve tried to get to that point through many routes, viz., the Twitter plugin (which will not, I have learned, enable you to send tweets), the AddToAny plugin (which uses Twitter “intents” - a mechanism that pops up a separate window in which you can type a tweet - not what I want), and API connector (which in theory could do the job, but after much head scratching and searching of the forums, it appears that it is incapable of successfully authenticating with Twitter. But here, I admit, the documentation on the use of the API connector is sparse, and the Twitter documentation on how to use their API is clear as mud).

###Finally, I discovered the BlockSpring plugin.

It was remarkably easy to set up and I can now post customized tweets!

Issue solved.

1 Like

I am facing the same error. Thanks for sharing this. Can you please tell more how did you use blockspring to do Aouth and then posting customized tweets?

Thanks in advance
Pav

The Bubble part is pretty easy. The Twitter part is a little more challenging. You will need to set up a twitter app (here is a link). You will generate the api keys there that you will need to configure the blockspring plugin.

Install the plugin. Here is a screen shot of my blockspring plugin:

Then I set up a text box and a button on a page:

And then I set up this workflow for the “Tweet button”:

I can’t demo it anymore. My blockspring free trial expired. Everybody seems to want $10, $15, $20 / month. That adds up pretty fast.

Hope this helps.

I just ran into the same error.

Error connecting to Twitter: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<hash>
  <error>Desktop applications only support the oauth_callback value 'oob'</error>
  <request>/oauth/request_token</request>
</hash>

Any suggestions here?

Looks like you guys did not set up the callback URL on the twitter signup page.

Just tested and it works perfectly fine as long as the callback URL is there.

1 Like

I had the same problem. I went to https://developer.twitter.com/en/portal/projects/

then I setup an App on twitter.

There is a must have field called CALLBACK URL

You have to cut and paste the exact URL from your app

e.g. https://app-name.bubbleapps.io/version-test