[Feature Enhancement] New App Plan page

Hi everyone,

I’m Laura and I’m a lead product manager here at Bubble. Today we’re rolling out a new app plan page to give you all the information you need to manage your app subscription — all in one place. Whether it’s understanding workload consumption or adding storage and plugins, we want to make it simple and straightforward to understand what your app is using today and give you the tools to set up your app for success in the future. Here are some of the details.

App plan page at a glance

Your subscription comes with dozens of features to help you manage and grow your app. App plan now shows you what’s included in your subscription, so you can make sure to take advantage of the features in your plan. If you ever need to change plans or want a complete breakdown of benefits, you can easily do that here as well.

Understanding your billing

As your app scales over time, billing may look different from month to month with workload units, plugins, and your app’s plan as separate line items. We want to give you an easily digestible way to see your bill at a glance. Now, as you make changes to your subscription, you’ll see the impact on what you’ll be paying update in realtime, so you can make informed decisions about managing your app.

Managing workload units

You can now see how many workload units your app has consumed each month and get a clear visualization of whether it’s time to add a workload tier to save money.

If your app has gone over your plan’s default number of workload units, but it’s more cost effective to pay for overages instead of adding a workload tier, we’ll let you know that so you aren’t paying for more than what you need.

And, of course, if your app has gone viral, we’ll tell you when it’s time to add a workload tier to your app. (You’ll get notified via email, too!)

A note about legacy plans

Users on legacy plans will also see a new app plan page with easy ways to manage capacity in place of workload.

Cleaner cancellation

We hope you never have a need to cancel your plan and that your Bubble app grows from MVP to IPO. But from time to time, people do need to cancel their subscriptions. We’ve heard in the past (and I agree!) that it’s not super clear to go to the plan comparison page and click “Free plan” to cancel. So we’ve made this UI more intuitive in case you ever find yourself needing to go back to the Free plan (just click Cancel plan directly.)

This rollout comes on the heels of adding workload tier recommendations at checkout. We look forward to hearing your feedback on these initiatives and your suggestions on other ways we can make it easier for you to manage your app as it grows. Happy new year!

27 Likes

This is great!

5 Likes

Great work guys!

3 Likes

Looks really great! I seem to have encountered an issue, though. It looks like it’s impossible to unsubscribe to a plugin that is currently subscribed to monthly. When clicking on the relevant plugin in Settings, it takes you to the plugin tab, where you get a message stating you cannot uninstall unless you unsubscribe first, resulting in an endless loop. Incidentally, the message is also incorrect in that it states you cannot uninstall yet, but uninstalls anyway (while leaving you subscribed.)

2 Likes

That does not sound good! Thanks so much for flagging. Can I ask you to report it through our chatbot in our support center (Bubble Support Center). That gives us a way to get all the details about your app, all in one spot and it feeds into our bug tracking system so we can get to the bottom of things more quickly. I’ll also tell the team to look out for that incoming!

3 Likes

Hi @laura.oppenheimer
This all sounds amazing.

Could you please help me understand something more?
Does all this consumption visibility and real-time monitoring disregard the Legacy Plan?

I believe that the greatest fear of all entrepreneurs is precisely not being able to feel the possible evolution of these costs. Since this theme reflects a sudden drop in our cost structure for pricing. Therefore, it is an extremely relevant topic.

I ask because: I actually don’t see these screens on my dashboard. And, although my plan is Legacy, I want (and really need) to have better visibility of consumption for planning future costs (Even if still using legacy: we need that all data for custs projection in case of app changes) and, for sure, change the PLAN. The way I see it here, in the metrics panel (App Metrics Tab), we have the same graphs, nothing has changed, metrics is not real “in real time” (When we are developing). And, on my current invoice, I also don’t see the details you provided.

Therefore, just getting ahead on this scenario: if Legacy is not part of this set of transparency-oriented innovations, I would like to ask the question: Why is it not part of this if it is a paid plan?

Thank you very much for news and, in advanced, for your kind feedback too.

1 Like

Hi @rafaelfernandes ,

This is updated for Legacy plans as well. I can see on my legacy production plan that this is live and gives me control over Capacity and Storage.

You don’t see the WU consumption graph because your plan doesn’t include WU. If you want to understand more about the WU your app is consuming, visit the Logs section of your app and you can see WU consumption over time, as well as dive into what’s consuming WU on your app.

3 Likes

Hi @laura.oppenheimer
Thank you so much for kind feedback.
You are right. The issue is actually about:

• Real time WUs, while we are develping and need to compare changes on real time
  • Billing. Although I understand that detailed billing data does not appear as it is not a WU-based plan, it would be great to “see this” in this plan as a means of observing what these costs would be like if we changed the plan. Therefore, any change at this time is speculative.

If Bubble have a chance to analyze this possibility: To apply a way for billing projections under WUs, like new plans, it would be great.

My best regards!

3 Likes

You have the same real-time workload unit logging as customers on our new plans; you can look at the last hour of activity on the logs page. If there’s a different feature request here other than what we offer today, please submit it on our ideaboard!

1 Like

@laura.oppenheimer, I think that the main problem here is that at log page we can only see the last 30 days. Without any possibilities to change it.

Regarding the WU plans billing, when clicking on change plan at the new page it says I will have to pay for any WU consumed during the current month.

And, another doubt that comes is: will I have to pay WU consumption from day 1 to 30 of each month or does it goes alongside my billing cycle? For example, from day 14 do day 13 of the next month.

2 Likes

Hi @laura.oppenheimer , do you know how do we now apply a Capacity boost? I have not been able to do it since the change on the plan side. Thanks!

1 Like

Workload is calculated on the calendar month, so you’ll pay for WU used from the first of the month. If you’re struggling with understanding WU consumption to date, I’d suggest looking at it on the last day of the month; that way you can see what an “average” month looks like. The other thing you can do is (if your workload usage is relatively consistent week to week) is extrapolate from there (aka multiply by 4 for monthly or 52 for weekly) to get a sense of what WU you’d be consuming on a new plan.

2 Likes

You can update capacity on the app plan page. See here from my legacy plan (Production):

1 Like

Am I right in thinking it’s being looked at to sync up the billing cycles for simplicity? I remember it was mentioned in one of the user feedback sessions I joined for the checkout page.

1 Like

Hi Laura, I can see I can change the Capacity permanently on my plan, but where do I apply the 1h boost that we have available 3 times a month?

1 Like

Ah! Thank you for flagging. We had mistakenly rolled out the view for non admin users to admins - this is now updated. Boost away!

1 Like

Hey Laura,

One thing that I don’t see (that I used to) is the number of DB rows used. It was helpful to see for free plans (plugin demo apps and templates), but would also be interesting for paid plans. Am I overlooking it?

1 Like

We aren’t showing DB rows any longer as we no longer charge on DB rows. What’s your use case for wanting that info?

1 Like

Understood. I don’t recall you charging for DB rows even when the DB row info was displayed.

As I said, mostly for plugin demo apps and templates. But even for paid plans, it’s an interesting metric to help get a sense of the “scale” of an app.

Honestly, it’s not a big deal. I was just expecting to still see it showing “x of 200 things” for free plans and “n of unlimited things” for paid apps. I can certainly live without it.

1 Like

It was a time-gone-by pre-WU pricing change that got put on hold and dissolved into nothingness.

1 Like