Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

How do I assign parameters dynamically

Please I am very new to bubble. I would like to assign [xname] dynamically. How can I do this?
Xname is the authenticated github username.

Please provide screenshots because i am still learning how to use bubble.

Thanks.

1 Like

@NigelG Please help me

1 Like

You’re already doing it right. xname is now dynamic.

After you successfully initialize this call, when you go to fetch data from it bubble will present a dialog that will let you fill in the value that’s supposed to go in the xname key.

To initialize this call, you will need to put a valid value into the Value field you see there next to the xname Key in the API connector. (If you leave that value in there after initialization, that value will become the default value for this call. If you delete it, the default will be null.)

Once the call is initialized you will make the call happen in your app by:

  1. In any expression field, select Get Data from External API – you will see your call as an option there.
  2. Bubble will pop up a dialog where you can set the value of xname or anything else you’ve made a customizable parameter for that call.

That should get you going!

1 Like

I’ve goten to this point. How to I set the (path), how do i make it dynamic

I can’t seem to get this working, I’ve clicked Modify call with and without a value.

There’s no extra step underneath API provider for my dynamic query.

@tom.matthews Uncheck ‘private’

2 Likes

Thanks, this worked!

Is there a way to do this with parameters that are required?

For instance, I’m trying to use Youtube API to pull data from a playlist ID that is dynamically updated by the logged in user’s uploaded videos playlist ID.

This is set up by using a placeholder value for the key of playlistID.

While this doesn’t throw any errors, I am unable to actually use the dynamically updated data.

It uses the default value of playlistID and doesn’t seem to act as a substitute.

Help please! I feel I’m going insane!!

Looks like you’re using URL parameters AND passing them in the body. You should only need to do one.

Try removing the body parameters and just going with the URL params.

I found it to work by actually using my method as an action, and then calling to it in the workflow! :smiley: