How to rename an uploaded file?

Ok, this is perhaps a silly question but I can’t figure this out. How do I rename a file that my users upload to the app?

Users either drop a file onto or click a group to upload a file which they can add metadata too. They can also rename the file. But that only works in the app. When you download the file, it will still have the original name you uploaded the file with.

I tried to make a change to the ‘file’ that was uploaded into Amazon by doing a :find&replace for the file’s name with the name that I have a field for but this results in an access denied error as it still references back to the original file that was uploaded.

I would probably have to create a different approach where the file that you select from the system gets renamed first before it is getting uploaded. But I had hopes of being able to manipulate the file that was already uploaded to the servers. I feel like I’m missing something obvious here but can’t seem to figure it out :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I might be wrong, but I don’t think you can? Because I think that would mean editing a property in AWS, not in your app.

hm I guess there is not a big use case for this…

Is it possible now?

1 Like

what about now? my users iphone uploads .mov files, but i need mp4 and renaming will do :heart_eyes: (need them for background videos, that only support mp4, but just renaming the movs magically works)

4 Likes

It still looks like we can’t edit an uploaded files name? Is something in the works? Or a clever work around anyone can suggest?

3 Likes

I know this is an older thread, but it looks like this has possibly been fixed as of July 2021!

how haven’t they fixed it yet?

1 Like

Hi, any solution for this ? thanks

Hello Hej ! did you found a solution ? I have exactly the same problem and I cannot find a way to do it so far!!
Thanks in advance for your help !

Hey Chloe, I think I can help.

Better Uploader allows you to rename files right before sending them to the server. It also has other cool features like multi-file uploading, drag and drop folders and previewing files before uploading them.

Let me know if you have any questions

Any feedback on this? How do you rename a file that is already in you db?

Would really be great if this was possible. In my app, users upload photos, and I use a nodeJS function with the axios and sharp libraries to resize the photo. However, when someone uses a special character that also exists in URLs as having special functions, it causes a failure. Ive tried sanitizing but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?