How to send the only one Thing to the page to modify Fields?

I have a simple index page with 13 task buttons. Every task has a Name (shows on the button) and Description (appears when hovering over the button).

Here is how the database is structured:

When a new user is signing up, the 13 tasks (Things) are created:

The User should be able to modify the Name and Description of the task. I’m using ‘edit_task’ page for that:

The problem is that I don’t know how to send only ‘one’ Thing to that page when clicking on the task:

Always got the error that I can’t send multiple Things to the page.
I was trying to use ‘item #’ for that, but how can I know the number of the created Thing? Can I assign the number to the Thing?
I don’t want to create 13 pages for every task to modify.
I also was thinking about to use popup or floating group for that, but there is the same problem, I need to create 13 popups…
Can anybody help me with that issue?

It seems that the ‘item #’ assigned randomly:
Here is how it looks in database:

Here is how the 'item #'s were assigned:

That means I can’t rely on ‘item #’ to send the data to the ‘edit_task’ page

Hey @gs1

1. On the first page, put your 13 Tasks in a repeating group
  2. Set the ‘Edit’ page’s type of content to Task
  3. Build a workflow so that when a Task cell is clicked on the first page > Go to page Edit > Set the data to send to Current cell’s Task

Hope that helps!
Ambroise

Need extra help?

Book a free 15 minutes call - happy to help if I can

Oh and by the way:

• I would advise to use a schedule API workflow to create those tasks. It would take a while for all the Tasks to be created the way it’s currently setup, therefore the page loading time will be quite long. With an API workflow, the Tasks are created in the backend, therefore you have no load time on the frontend.
  • it seems you’re not adding those Tasks to the User DB. In the User data type, you should have a field ‘Tasks’ (list of Tasks). In step 16 of your workflow, you should have Make changes to User > Tasks add Result of Step 2, 3, 4 etc

Ambroise

Need extra help?

Thank you for the advice. I know that method but how can I do the repeating group for that kind of design (honeycomb)?

Okay, will do that. Thank you for the tip :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

1 Like

@gs1

It can be done by having 3 different RGs. See an example here:
Demo: https://ambroisetestapps.bubbleapps.io/version-test/multiple-rgs
Editor: https://bubble.io/page?type=page&name=multiple-rgs&id=ambroisetestapps&tab=tabs-1

Ambroise

Need extra help?

I just did that 5min ago. The same problem persists, the cells are filled randomly:
Just sing up the User 1.
Database:

As you can see, the sells of the second RG filled randomly:
2020-09-20_14-03-28

I deleted the User 1 and all the data, and again sign up the User 1 after 3 minutes:

Now, the first RG is filled randomly:
2020-09-20_14-06-15

As you can see, in both cases the database looks absolutely the same but final results are different

@gs1 when using items from#… items until# it should show the Tasks in the order of creation in the DB
Alternatively you can use :sorted by to sort the items by Name for example

Ambroise

Need extra help?

Sorted by name won’t work as the user will change the name

@gs1 then just create a field ‘Sort by’ (of type number) in the Task data type, set the number from 1 to 13 for each event, and sort by that number

Ambroise

Need extra help?

I have that Number field already.

Great, all the best with your app

Ambroise

Need extra help?

Unfortunately, that sorting is not working:

Ok, sorted by number worked. I should be doing that on RG level, by bad. Thank you. Now the issue is how to send the data from different groups to the same page. As page can only receive the data from only one:

Ambroise

Need extra help?

I know how to do that. That is working. But how to do the ‘honeycomb’ design of the repeating group?

Ambroise

Need extra help?

How to send the data from different groups to the same ‘Edit’ page? As page can only receive the data from only one Type:

I solved the problem by using :sorted for all the tasks without using RG. Thank you for helping me!