How to store and display YouTube videos using API connector and custom search filters

Hi,
I am using API connector to connect to YouTube API. I want to get a list of 50 or if possible more videos that match a certain query or keyword, and store their information (such as title, image, channel name, channel image, url, published date, and query) in a database called “videos”. I want to update the database every 6 hours with new videos.

I also want to display different videos in different parent groups(from most recent video), based on the search criteria I choose. For example, one parent group might show videos related to “mummy videos” query/keyword search, while another might show videos from specific channels (channel1, channel2, channel3). The videos should be balanced among the channels.

It should look like a Netflix gallery, with different categories of videos for each parent group. (I know how to set up parent groups, but I don’t know how to store data from YouTube API in my database.)

Please explain Step by Step as if im a kid, still need to get to expert level you know… :neutral_face:
Also, do you know IF i can setup API calls like this one on test version of bubble.io and not premium?

Also if u want to participate in the project and help me with bubble, id love to have a partner that help me, im working hard for this Gaming Social

I can already tell you this wont happen, unless someone is extremely generous :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

And yes the API Connector plugin works just fine on free plan, it’s just the Backend Workflows and Data API you can’t use

oh lol thanks

“backend workflows” & “data API” i can’t use on free plan, So basically i can’t test the app without first buying “starting plan”?

Do you think this guide below will work for what i want to do? and why i can’t see the “formatted as list” in my project?

In the backend workflow, create a new recurring event that is triggered every so often (for example, every hour) and add the following actions: For each repeating group, create a new action “Delete a list of things” and select the data type “Video” and the filter “Query = parameter used for the YouTube API”. This is used to delete the previous list of videos with the same filter. For each repeating group, create a new action “Get data from an external API” and select the YouTube API with the parameters you want (for example, keyword, channels, date, etc.) For each action “Get data from an external API”, create a new action “Create a new list of things” and select the data type “Video”. In the field “List to create”, enter the result of the previous action converted into a list using the function “Formatted as list”. In the field “Field to modify”, enter the corresponding fields of the data type “Video” and the corresponding values from the result of the previous action. In the field “Query”, enter the parameter you used for the YouTube API (for example, the keyword or channel names). In the workflow, create an event “When page Home is loaded” and add the following actions: For each repeating group, create a new action “Display a list” and select the repeating group as element to modify. In the field “Content type”, select the data type “Video”. In the field “Data source”, enter the search in the database of videos with the filter “Query = parameter used for the YouTube API”.

Only if your testing needs Backend Workflow and the Data API, you can probably get quite a bit done without those (at least some front end design, etc), the only things you won’t be able to test is like the recurring stuff like

During your testing it would have to be a manual button you click to retrieve data.

But at some point yes probably you will need the personal plan

I don’t know what exactly this guide is… sounds like something GPT spit out? It doesn’t really make any sense and there’s no way what you need to do can be described in a paragraph :joy:

1 Like

Yeah it was BING using chatgpt
So, if i stay with free plan based on what I want to do with my app, i can’t do workflow database and use API as Data, but only as Action

How do you reccomend to setup my database in order to be clean and how should I do store the API in it based on what I want to do with my app project

Yea unfortunately GPT will be useless for Bubble

Yes you can use API calls as Data, that is just a setting when you set up your API call in the API Connector, if it is supposed to be data or an action.

ah ok, what you meant with (“Data API”)

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.