It is very clear that your app is build on Bubble

I agree with everyone. I’m putting the made with bubble logo on my app. To promote it not hide it. I wNt to do my part to support it.

6 Likes

I’m actually proud of what I can accomplish with Bubble. I understand your worries, but we’re living in a time where even big companies aren’t afraid of making some of their codes open source.

1 Like

No matter what you use to build your app, someone somewhere will object.

“Oh you are ACTUALLY using Angular* are you ?”

*insert favourite framework

4 Likes

I have several remarks:

1. Bubble is a enabling platform that I believe in and will continue to support.

2. Enterprise customers of Bubble should absolutely be allowed to disable the “this was entirely built on Bubble” text that is visible in the console. Considering the current security vulnerabilities, such as any visitor being able to view the version-test of any Bubble app (private or not) to name one, I think it is more than an appropriate request for enterprise users on dedicated hardware to have some white-label features.

For business users, a construct of convenience is to minimize friction and anxiety with customers/potential customers. If I’m using a proprietary platform to build enterprise applications, I want to utilize all possible opportunities to reduce dialog around “you built my app on a website builder?! This can’t scale…what if my data is lost…how secure is this platform…what if they disappear…what if things go the route of Parse” with non-technical customers. In my business life (not associated with Bubble). I have frequently experienced enterprise customers ‘freaking out’ when they do not understand something, costing my company either significant consulting fees (legal, etc.) or a significant allocation of employee time that could have better utilized building a better service and product. For technical customers, they (usually) have a better understanding of engaging in a debate around preferred technologies and it is not so much of a concern, as they’ll be able to “see” Bubble anyway.

If Bubble is open-sourced, then the table shifts in a different direction. As of now, Bubble branding does present a level of resistance that could be easily avoided. Personally, I’m willing to pay for white-label features and am also comfortable with that option going away if/when the platform is open sourced.

6 Likes

I have observed this behavior as well. I have seen an instance where a third party - entirely isolated from any Bubble account credentials - on a device with no relevant stored password/login info in browser – was able to view and interact with the version-test.

So I can confirm that.
I don’t know how recently you experienced this? But its good that you have made note of it.

That being said though - I do almost all of my testing via the version-test URL inside a mobile browser (as opposed to the bubble iOS app). And the ability to just access the link without authenticating myself as a bubble user can in fact be convenient (for me).

However - the notion of the version-test being accessible for viewing to anyone, regardless of authentication (assuming the viewer is clever enough to somehow find the viewing link); is a little unsettling - Particularly if the Bubble app in question, is one that is continuously releasing new functionality etc.

The likelihood is incredibly low; but competitors, having access to view a web app that is still in “stealth mode” or working on unreleased functions etc - seems like an unnecessary risk; and could be circumvented with a secondary Bubble account login on the version-test page (assuming the bubble user isn’t already logged in).

2 Likes

All you have to do is look at the page source…all that would have to change, which isn’t going to happen.

It is no different to an app being covered in angular tell tales or wordpress etc. The very nature of web apps is that there are usually markers to libraries and frameworks all over the place.

I completely agree.

For technical customers, they (usually) have a better understanding of engaging in a debate around preferred technologies and it is not so much of a concern, as they’ll be able to “see” Bubble anyway.

For technical folks, we can dissect most web apps using an inspector or viewing the source code. For non-technical people (think industries and people that cannot make sense of code), it’s not as obvious in the source code that a codeless framework is being used (div tags aside). What is obvious: “built entirely without code on Bubble”…that could change with a very small adjustment. Every business and user has different needs, this happens to be one.

@jordanfaucet Yeah, I’ve noticed this a few times over the last couple of months…definitely unsettling. You’re right, popping up safari and Chrome on mobile is super easy to test things out. I like your idea of creating a second dummy Bubble account to share access to an app - sharing access to other Bubble accounts could be a great way of controlling access during development.

@emmanuel, any room in the pipeline to enable a ‘only share version-test with Bubble users: X, Y, Z’ ?

See this, it’s been there for a while now

1 Like

Appologies, I didnt make myself clear: I wonder if it is possible not to allow people to go to “mydomain.com”/ version-test url? And if they do manage to write this url, redirect them to the main (home) page of the Live Version?

you can’t prevent anyone to go to a URL, but you can add a password protection. That’s what we offer.

Thank you!

Limiting Access in the “General/Design” tab did the trick!

Does the Enterprise plan allow one to get rid of the Bubble print() in Console?

No one on a dedicated plan has asked for this, but we’ll consider if someone does, yes.

4 Likes

When we go to dedicated plan - expected hopefully next 3 months, I will take you up on that.

I am very much up for promoting Bubble - I think it is a superb application. Just want to be able to do it in a controled manner.

Same here - that’s an absolute must for me. Personally, I think Bubble should offer the option to get rid of the that print out, even if you charge users a fee to do so. It’s understandable that you want to leave a calling card in the platform that lets anyone build almost anything, but sometimes those things can actually break deals.

I would point also for technical IP cases problem with full visibility of data types structure and all pages’s paths available within app or even firebase paths and keys. All just by looking at DOM model without being even logged in to an app.

I am perfectly fine with all Bubble’s pros/cons and I think at this price it is a great enabling platform for many startups, but looking closer at some cons I feel like it is just a bus stop to hack my mvp get traction and gain more knowledge about my clients and values they need from me. Due to these visibility concerns I moved some of sensitive parts of my apps to different backend and I treat Bubble more like frontend instead of standalone app what for me works now much better.

Well as I said that’s an option that can be offered on a dedicated plan.

www.BuiltWith.com will expose any frame work and any scripts running on any website.

One click and you can view every website that Bubble is hosting.

You’ll never be able to get away from data like this so best to embrace it and market above and beyond your competitors.

2 Likes

Saw the update, thanks guys!

1 Like

I support the idea to HIDE 'Bubble from source code. I saw a few folks mention here about WordPress and other php type apps ,which if you don’t know, can be hidden in various way using plugin(for eg Hide My Wp) or from root, do some reading on that. Several reason why it should be hidden

1. Someone mention about security -so that’s a major valid reason.
  2. The ability for someone else replicate your idea in day is commercial/business suicide. (basically china for code). Where as the traditional platform/code method would require years of schools and thousands if not million to build and maintain. Though some equivalents to learning curve for bubble to WordPress do exists for intermediate developers(not coders)

What can be more revenue for bubble is to offer fully white labeled code for those who wants it via plugin/add on. WordPress allows this why shouldn’t bubble?

Hence, my reason for not fully trusting bubble system as yet. Though i love parts of what it does there are other things like:

1. Where is the flexibility to migrate from bubble if there are scalability issues? You can do this with other platforms. Someone mention open source and the support for bubble as a business. Then why not give users the freedom to port there apps anywhere they please after building it with the ability to still send update via api.

That said the barriers to exit for bubble me is very high or risky from a business perspective who wants to scale but is locked in though its tempting to try it. But knowing these issue always in the back of your mind is a problem that needs solving if they wish to grow at level like Wix or Wordpress.