Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Link of an attached file? How can I make it private?

I uploaded a file selecting “attached to a thing” and I set a privacy rule that allows only some user to see it.
Now, I find the file in my file manager but how can I give a link back to the user who upload it in order to download/open it again?
And also… If I copy the link of the file that I can open from my file manager than everyone with the link can open it… What should I do to make the file really private?

Hey @eliosoft

Thanks for reaching out!

The easiest thing to do here would be to create a text field on the thing you attached the file to (whatever that data type is) where you store the file’s url. I like to use privacy rules to protect the url in addition to protecting the file just to be extra secure.

Here’s some more information on this from our manual. The key concept being that the file will be protected by the same privacy rules that apply to the record the file was ‘attached’ to.

Give it a try and don’t hesitate to reach out if we can assist with anything else. You can reach us directly by emailing [email protected]

1 Like