List of more than 10,000 items

What would happen if there is a list of more than 10,000 items? The most recent video training regarding this says a list can only hold upto 10k entries.
does it then:

1. Only keep the most updated of the 10k
  2. Does it not allow to save more
  3. What is the effective way around this limitation?

I ask as Im not a DB person and want to know the best way to work around this limitation.

As far as I know, it is a good practice to avoid long lists. If you use this rule, you should never be in a situation where you have more than 10,000 items on a list. But suppose it does. Then you will cause an error when adding more items. It is simply not possible to add another item to the list.

This is what the manual says about it:

Currently, lists are limited to 10,000 items. Trying to add additional items will result in an error message.

If you like to have a relationship between more than 10.000 items and another item, you can point the 10.000 items to a single item instead of pointing the single item to the 10.000 items.

So what you can do, is adding a field pointing to a single item, on the custom data type belonging to the 10,000 items.

2 Likes

Thank you mike, and thanks for finding the point about the 10k items as well I couldn’t find it today when I searched. Is there any method of approach you’d take here:

Context
-So I want to build a SaaS, where companies would taken bookings, do a job, create a certificate, create an invoice and finally record payment.

-1 Booking can have multiple jobs. 1 Booking can have multiple certificates but 1 booking can only have 1 invoice, 1 invoice can have multiple payments.
Plan:
Currently I have types of : Company, users, bookings, certificates, job reports, invoice and payments.

My approach I wanted to create Company as the type that would store all lists of bookings certificates job reports and inovices made by users. My reasoning was I could easily references this users company etc and only show the company data to that particular user. Clearly all lists in Company would exceed 10k

So how would I apply this? Once again really appreciate your time.

Your welcome!

A simple example. In your situation, you create a type for Company and Bookings. I will ignore the other options to keep it simple.

On the Company type you add all the fields wich are needed to identify the company. For example the name and client number.

On the Bookings type you add all the fields to define a booking plus a field to select a company.

When you create a company overview page you can add a repeating group to show all the bookings related to this company by searching for all the bookings which have the same company as to whom the overview belongs.

A piece of general advice. Take a look at these two videos. They will learn you a lot of things to make a good start on Bubble.

1 Like

Why would you not have it as a hieracy?

Company > list of Bookings > list of jobs > etc

That is if you really need some feature that has all of these listed.

My guess would be that the reality of the SaaS is that someone is looking at a Booking most of the time, rather than every certificate. Or at last there is no particular reason to have a list of certificates that you need to filter.

1 Like

just to build on this discussion as this may help for beginners:
if you have eg : users list of payments. where users and payments are a Thing in your database.
atleast in my experience, starting at lists of 100 or longer it becomes slow and superior to have “Do a search for payments:” with constraints creator or user associated = current user.

hence lists are good for short things like a posts tags or a recipes ingredients but not for things that can get very long (like a list of users of a facebook group)
here, rather have each user have a list of groups they joined as that is unlikely to exceed 100.

2 Likes