As you may have seen from my previous post, I am currently uploading a lot of data from an external database into Bubble as a migration to a “nocode” tool.
Because the migrated tables are relational (unlike Bubble) it makes it very difficult to build efficient queries so we needed to populate some extra data.
Over the course of this, I have had to raise a number of bugs on this bulk process that Bubble offers. In short, I have just not been able to do what I needed to do in any kind of reasonable timeframe.
- “Fetching List” is constantly displayed when trying to run a bulk action
- Unable to search in data tab on large amounts of data - you get “an error occurred”
- Bulk operations confirmed as “1 per second” no matter what plan. 250,000 rows of data will therefore take around 70 hours to process.
- Field “is empty” does not trigger when the field is a reference to another thing, and that thing has been deleted. You now cannot select those rows as they are both “not empty” and don’t have anything in them.
- Same 20 rows are being selected when doing items until # 20 with a filter
- Cancelling “ALL” workflows does not work unless you pause them first
Yes, there are a lot of rows but nowhere does it say “don’t use the data tab if you have a large table” or “don’t use bulk actions” etc
Bulk data operations in Bubble are not fit for purpose. You simply have no way at all to process operations on large amounts of data.
This NOT mean that Bubble does not handle volumes of data, it does that well. What it does not do is allow you to manipulate that data from inside the tool.
@malcolm and @josh need to be upfront about the limitations here. And what, if anything, they intend to do about this. I raised issues 5 years ago with the data tab (that are still not fixed) and nothing really seems to have changed since then apart from the really good csv uploader.
These are seriously limiting issues with the platform here - which go well beyond “we do appreciate this feedback on the process” from @eve that I have received last week.
As it stands at the moment, I could never recommend to anyone to use Bubble for large data operations, despite what their technical team will tell you. Look at Xano (or similar) instead.
A sad few weeks for me here, I really thought Bubble was better than this