Plugin Announcement: Airtable

Hello everyone,

We’re excited to announce the Beta release of the Airtable plugin! This latest plugin for Bubble, by Bubble, can be used to pull data from Airtable into your Bubble applications, as well as update Airtable records from Bubble workflows. The ideal use case for this plugin is to supplement your Bubble application with Airtable data, or vice versa. You can create, modify, or delete Airtable records, as well as use Airtable records as data in in your elements or your actions.

Note that this does not replace the Bubble backend. For example, you’ll need to use the Bubble database if you want users to be able to create an account, log in and log out, or want your app to have real-time updates and autobinding. Using Bubble with Airtable will let you add some custom logic and event-based workflows on top of the data that lives in Airtable. For ideas of how you can get the most out of this plugin, here are three (out of many) great ways to take advantage of this latest integration:

Example Use Cases

1. Use Bubble workflow operations to contribute to an Airtable Base
Take all the power of Bubble’s workflow operations, and save the results of your logic to Airtable. If you use Airtable for collaborative projects at work or as a hobby, this could be a great way to automate work, provide a UI for complex operations, and really take advantage of the complexity offered by no-code platforms today!

Here are the actions you can access after installing the plugin:

And how you would create a record:

2. Taking Inventory
The Airtable mobile app allows you to scan barcodes with your phone and load them directly into your Barcode fields. You can then use this information in your Bubble application to take inventory, match products to barcodes, place orders, and more!

3. Merge existing Airtable data with Bubble Things
If you’re new to Bubble but a seasoned Airtable user, or you’ve been a long-time user of both without a way to connect the two, the Airtable plugin provides an easy way to enrich your Bubble data with existing Airtable data. You can pull data directly from Airtable, and save it to your Bubble Things as you see fit.

Getting Started

To get started with the Airtable plugin, follow these steps:

1. Install the Airtable Plugin in the Plugins tab of the editor.

1. Provide your Airtable API Key. To find this key, log into your Airtable account and navigate to Sign in - Airtable. Your API Key is here:

1. Add a base in the Bubble plugins panel. To do so, click “Add another Base” and fill out the Base Name and ID. To find your Base ID, navigate to Airtable Web API and select the Base you want. Once you’re on the Base’s API page, your Base ID can be found here:

There is an option to use a different API Key - this can remain unchecked unless you want to use Bases from multiple Airtable accounts.

1. Configure your Table information

a. Fill out your Table name - it must be an exact match with your Table name in Airtable.
    b. Make sure your Table has a view in Airtable matching the “View name” field in Bubble.
    c. Select the permissions you want to allow for your Table data.
    d. Before initializing your Table, make sure that you have at least one filled-out value for each of your columns in Airtable. When we initialize your fields in Bubble, the Airtable API will not return fields where every row is blank.
    e. Initialize your Table and confirm that the data types have been configured correctly for each field. If you have linked records in your Airtable fields, you must select which Table the link is for before saving your schema.

And that’s it! You’re ready to use Airtable data in Bubble. If you’re having trouble getting the plugin to work, check out the FAQs on our full documentation. Since this is the Beta release, please file a support ticket here, and we will address it as soon as possible.

37 Likes

Nice move!

1 Like

Wonderful ! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Awesome! Does this mean that a RG can be fully powered by an Airtable base on real time? Or do we need to implement a trigger update data?

If you are modifying Airtable data through a Bubble action, it will record those changes real time. If you are manually making changes in Airtable, you’ll have to refresh the page. But yes, this can be used to display Airtable records in you RG :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s great! Follow up question: if I have some dropdowns, can you filter the data from airtable based on the selections? I have it implemented Using data from Bubble right now but wondering cause if it is it may be a good idea to change to using this plugin :+1:.

Yes, you can filter Airtable records much like you can filter Bubble data using constraints - these constraints can be set dynamically.

1 Like

Hi, I’m using this new plugin and is working good. Thanks!
But now I would like to be able to change a record manually from Airtable and automatically change the value inside the bubble database, is it possible? (not just see it in a list, but really change the value inside the bubble database).
Or, in the same way, create a new record manually in Airtable and has it automatically created inside the bubble database, is it possible?

Thanks a lot
Ale

You can change both Airtable records and Bubble data through a chain of workflow actions. However, creating or modifying a record in Airtable will not automatically trigger anything in Bubble.

2 Likes

That is awesome! Thanks a lot. I wil try it out for sure.

So performance wise, would be better to host the data in Airtable and connect with RG or in Bubble itself?

2 Likes

Really nice plugin!

one issue I found is with the ‘minus item’ action. For example adding an Airtable item into a custom state (of the Airtable type) works fine, but then removing it (either via the old <> filtered action or the newer minus item) causes a ‘temporary error’. The console says:

minus_element called on a value that doesn't have not_equals: api.airtable.XXX.XXX

Changing the state’s data type to text and working with the airtable ID works fine, but if this could be fixed, that would be really great!

Some additional feedback:

Will you add support for using other Airtable tables (from the same base) as constraints in the data source? It seems limited functionality is available in the :filtered action but not in the data source constraints.

Since that is an issue, I’m trying to specify ‘link to records’ values now as text, but it seems the Schema popup can not be saved like this. Can we not specify them as text if they are linked records?

Thanks for the plugin - just running in to a few problems as I attempt to connect. I’m able to connect to one of my tables in my Airtable base, but I run in to “can’t get schema” errors when attempting to add two other tables. Pretty sure that I have the names of the tables correct - any way to try and figure out what’s going wrong? @sam8

@hal
Did a a lot of offline back-and-forth with Bubble support, and for the time being (until they fix this) the work-around is here:

Thanks, @ALB - that seemed to work!

How do I modify a record, what is the logic of the filter, I’ve tried to put the id field of airtable but it doesn’t just turn red.

Captura de Tela 2020-04-02 às 18.41.30

Airtable is great in combining with Bubble to offload data. Airtable is great in analyzing data and displaying that data in various charts, graphs and dashboards.

You can save some Bubble dev time by pushing data into Airtable for further processing. It also keeps your Bubble db clean in the process.

We used and now use the plug-in for analytics. Here is a how to guide for those interested:

“Scale your Bubble analytics with Airtable” https://link.medium.com/rhvRdz8pM5

6 Likes

Hey Sam - Is there any way to :group with Airtable data? I’m trying to graph some data and I can’t group by any of the fields.

Thanks!
David

Great ! It opens so much the horizon that I am jumping in my livingroom :heart_eyes:

Hi, did you find an answer to your issue? I am having the same issue. many thanks in advance