[PLUGIN] - Performance Timing, Workflow Response Times + Service Worker

Hi all,

Another new plugin available! this one is all about performance data, what you can do with it and how you can use it to determine areas of your site that might be slowing things down, or just because you’re interested in the data.

It focuses on a few things, the performance timing metrics which come directly from the browser, the ability to monitor workflow response times and it is able to setup a service worker which can cache all pages, images, links, css etc and improve page loading times. If this is a feature you want, then let me know and I can send over the service-worker.js file designed to be used with this.

PLUGIN
https://bubble.io/plugin/performance-timing-1631381229197x329933070800257000

DEMO
https://paul-testing-4.bubbleapps.io/performance

Some of the details within this post are somewhat on the advanced side so I shall do my best to break things down, but I have touched on the more technical aspects of things in order to try and cover everything which this plugin is all about. It gets more in depth the further you read!

The plugin itself takes care of all the calculations which report the data so all you have to do is access the exposed states, then you’ll be able to generate things like this…

You can report on a number of resources like Page loading speeds, Event loading times, DOM loading times, Domain lookup times, Network latency etc. It also supports some of the more advanced core web vitals statistics such as:

• First Contentful Paint (FCP)
  • Largest Contentful Paint (LCP)
  • Time To First Byte (TTFB)
  • First Input Delay (FID)
  • Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS)

These are often used by various search engines (like Google) to improve search rankings but the data may not necessarily be available in all browsers or reported on first load. For example, the First Input Delay metric will populate when the page is first interacted with. This could be from the click of a button or some other type of page interaction. These are explained in more detail at the bottom of this post under the WEB VITALS section.

It also offers a way where you can mark the start and end points of a workflow and report back the total workflow execution time (in milliseconds). You can then capture the response times from the entire workflow to determine which ones are performing the worst overall. You could set a threshold using the states called Mark duration and Mark average to inform you when a workflow might be taking longer than normal (if you wanted that level of measurement).

For documentation purposes (and my own sanity) this post will outline everything.

ELEMENTS

Performance
This visual element needs to placed onto your page and the options filled as shown below.

EVENTS

• A Performance start mark has been set
    Event triggered when the 'Start mark' action has completed running.

• A Performance end mark has been set
    Event triggered when the 'End mark' action has completed running.

ACTIONS

• Start mark
    This action creates a ‘start’ mark which can be used to measure performance.

• End mark
    This action creates an ‘end’ mark which can be used to measure performance.

• Convert time to date
    Use this to convert either an epoch or a high resolution time to a readable date format.
    -Time
    Enter an epoch or high resolution (HR) time stamp (ms) to convert to a readable date time.

EXPOSED STATES

• Navigation timing
    This is an object type of exposed state which contains all the available entries returned from the Navigation Timing API.
    NOTE: There are 2 versions of this API (Level 1 and Level 2) which can affect the times seen in the majority of the number fields outlined below. For browsers which support the Level 2 spec (most of them) the times represent a high resolution time stamp (in milliseconds). If you happen to use a browser which doesn't fully support the Level 2 spec (mainly Safari) then the times are represented as a 13 digit EPOCH time (in milliseconds). More information can be found further down in the TIME STAMPS section regarding exactly what these mean. Both of these can be used to generate a full date using the 'Convert time to date action' if needed.
Performance A’s Navigation timing… 's domainName text
's entryType text
's startTime number
's duration number
's initiatorType text
's nextHopProtocol text
's workerStart number
's redirectStart number
's redirectEnd number
's fetchStart number
's domainLookupStart number
's domainLookupEnd number
's connectStart number
's connectEnd number
's secureConnectionStart number
's requestStart number
's responseStart number
's responseEnd number
's transferSize number
's encodedBodySize number
's decodedBodySize number
's unloadEventStart number
's unloadEventEnd number
's domInteractive number
's domContentLoadedEventStart number
's domContentLoadedEventEnd number
's domComplete number
's loadEventStart number
's loadEventEnd number
's type text
's redirectCount number
  • Resource timing
    This is also an object type of exposed state which contains all the available entries returned from the Resource Timing API. It is a List of all the various resource types being loaded on a page such as CSS, SCRIPTS, IMAGES, VIDEOS, LINKS etc and can be referenced by the entryType field. Each resource type (entryType) will show the following fields.
    NOTE: The same note which applies to the Navigation Timing API above also applies here.
Performance A’s Resource timing… 's name text
's domainName text
's entryType text
's startTime number
's duration number
's initiatorType text
's nextHopProtocol text
's workerStart number
's redirectStart number
's redirectEnd number
's fetchStart number
's domainLookupStart number
's domainLookupEnd number
's connectStart number
's connectEnd number
's secureConnectionStart number
's requestStart number
's responseStart number
's responseEnd number
's transferSize number
's encodedBodySize number
's decodedBodySize number

Example of data returned.

• Is loading
    Shows Yes on first load then shows No when all performance entries are available/ready to be retrieved. You should always wait on this state becoming No before working with any of the data. It normally takes a second or two but never holds up any other actions on the page.

• Mark duration
    Duration (in milliseconds) between the start and end mark actions. It is updated every time the ‘End mark’ action is run.

• Mark average
    Average mark response time (in milliseconds). It is updated every time the ‘End mark’ action is run and can be used to give an indication of average workflow response times. The average value seen here is based on all mark durations that are accumulated.

• Converted time
    Date which is populated upon running the ‘Convert time to date’ action.

• First contentful paint
    Start time at which the first bit of content is painted into the browser. This is something which is defined in the DOM such as text, image, video or canvas render. Further information on how this works can be seen further down this page.

• Page load time
    Page load time for the current page URL.

• Page render time
    Total time taken to render the current page, also known as DOM processing time.

• Network latency
    General indication of network latency for the current page URL.

• Navigation type
    How the current page was navigated to, values can be navigate, reload, back_forward or prerender.

• Page download time
    Transfer/page download time for the current page URL.

• Request time
    Request time for the current page URL.

• Domain lookup time
    Domain lookup time for the current page URL. This value can be 0 if the browser has already cached the domain name.

• HTTP header size
    HTTP header size (in bytes), if the browser supports this.

• Server connection time
    Time taken to connect to the current page URL.

• Time to first byte
    Time is takes for the browser to load the first byte of information. Further information on how this works can be seen further down this page.

• Cumulative layout shift score
    Cumulative layout shift score which is subject to change dynamically. Further information on how this works can be seen further down this page.

• First input delay
    Time it takes for the browser to begin processing the first input made by the user. Further information on how this works can be seen further down this page.

• Largest contentful paint
    Time it takes for the browser to render the the largest image or text block visible within the viewport. Further information on how this works can be seen further down this page.

MEASURING WORKFLOW TIMES

Workflow times can be measured using the 2 actions called Start mark and End mark in their respected places within a workflow. I’ve done a fair of testing with this to make sure they do actually report back the the correct perceived times from the browser and don’t run before they’re supposed to. You cannot measure backend workflows accurately using this process, this is for frontend workflows only.

1. Create a custom event and inside it place the End mark action.

2. Within the workflow you want to monitor, add the Start mark action as step 1.

3. At the very end of your workflow, trigger the custom event you created.

4. When the End mark action runs it will also trigger the A Performance end mark has been set event and if you add that then you can reference the Mark duration state which holds the length of time (in milliseconds) between the 2 actions.

Although we have the concept of adding actions as steps within the editor, they don’t necessarily run in the order you see them on the Bubble servers. From what I understand, custom events run in sequence, not parallel. Meaning, if one workflow triggers a custom event that starts another workflow, then this second workflow will complete before the remaining actions in the first workflow have run. It seems that by triggering a custom event at the end of the first workflow it does tend to be the last action that’s run (at least from my testing anyway!).

You can see various examples of this process on the demo page, check the green workflows.

TIME STAMPS

Times referenced within the Navigation timing and Resource timing state fields are subject to change format depending on the browser in use. From what I have seen and tested, it’s only Safari that will fallback to the Level 1 spec times.

Level 1 - times reported as 13 digit UNIX EPOCH timestamps (milliseconds).
Level 2 - times reported as a High Resolution floating-point numbers (milliseconds).

What this means…
Probably not too much, both sets of times can be converted to a readable date and both can be subtracted from one another to give additional measurements (of the same kind that is).

For example, responseStart and responseEnd are timestamps for the start of a response and when it finished downloading. If you calculated (responseEnd - responseStart) for a given resource, like an image or a video then you’d end up with the total download time in milliseconds, to which you could then divide by 1000 to get the seconds it took.

WEB VITALS

These are commonly known as Core Web Vitals statistics and were put together by Google to provide guidance on what they believe to be essential metrics for delivering a good user experience.

5 of these statistics are provided in this plugin, below describes what each one is in a little more detail.

• First Contentful Paint (FCP)
    This metric measures the time from when the page starts loading to when any part of the page's content is rendered on the screen. Content can refer to text, images, icons, videos or any other non-white canvas elements.

• Largest Contentful Paint (LCP)
    This metric reports the render time of the largest image or text block visible within the viewport, relative to when the page first started loading.

• Time To First Byte (TTFB)
    This metric reports the time it takes for a user's browser to receive the first byte of page content. It can be closely associated to monitoring server response times.

• First Input Delay (FID)
    This metric measures the time from when a user first interacts with the page (i.e. when they click a link, tap a button, or use some other custom JavaScript powered control) to the time when the browser is actually able to begin processing the event handlers in response to that interaction.

• Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS)
    This metric is a measurement of unexpected shifting of webpage elements while the page is still downloading. The kind of elements that tend to cause shift are fonts, images, videos, contact forms, buttons etc. This is reported as a score.

SERVICE WORKER

The service worker file is a generalized script that uses the most recent version of Google’s Workbox utility. It doesn’t require too much customization as it works pretty well in it’s current state. Further info here and the actual service-worker.js file can be downloaded here.

You have to upload the file to your root files section as shown here.

It’s currently split into 4 sections to control caching of the following and this will probably be enhanced as time goes on.

• images (images / icons)
  • google-fonts (all google fonts)
  • pages - (page navigations)
  • assets - (css / scripts)

When the page loads after adding the service-worker.js file under your Settings area, there’s a couple of places within the browser tools that allow you to see this and confirm it’s working. It may take a refresh of your page and relaunch of the browser.

The service worker itself and it’s status

The cache names assigned to each of the 4 sections above

With regards to how this works, in general the browser makes a lot of requests to retrieve the things it needs to load your page correctly. The majority of such come in the form of images, fonts and other scripts alike, for example Javascript and CSS files, none of which are stored by default within the Cache Storage area of your browser. By utilising some method of caching we can help improve the loading speeds since the browser can retrieve the content directly from the cache rather than making another request to retrieve it again.

In essence, this works in the following way.

Your browser requests the data from Bubble web servers to display your page, if the content is not in the browser cache then it is retrieved directly from the web server. If the content was previously cached, the browser bypasses the server and loads the content directly from its cache. In general this gives performance gains and minimises bandwidth consumption to create a snappier experience when navigating through your site.

It’s important to note that anything which comes from your database, isn’t stored. So any data, whether it be confidential or otherwise is pulled in the normal way. I’m not 100% certain on how Bubble manages this but the browser cache is only a small database of files that contains downloaded web page resources only.

I think that’s everything covered for now!
If you’ve made it this far then hopefully I haven’t bored you to death quite yet :slight_smile:

Overall, there’s a fair bit of data that this plugin can retrieve and whilst some of the exposed states provide a bunch of ready-made calculations, given that you have the raw stats within the Navigation timing and Resource timing states, you can potentially use these to work out other statistics.

Paul

11 Likes

Update v1.3.0

The ability to use a service worker file has been added. This is designed to cache all pages, images, css, links etc against your site thus increasing page loading times. The checkbox to enable this is seen within the element’s options.

If you decide to use this feature, you’ll need a couple of things in place first.

• A copy of the service-worker.js file I’ve prepared.
  • A paid bubble plan that allows you to host files in the root directory (under Settings).

Paul

2 Likes

This is interesting - definitely going to be giving it a try.

One question: can you share a bit more about how data is gathered between user sessions, where it is stored, and what data is stored? In particular, I’m interested in any data privacy implications or data collection implications I need to be aware of (and make my users aware of in a privacy policy)

Of course, understood. If you can give us a bit, I’ll write something up and fully explain where the data is stored, how you can access it and just a bit more regarding what’s going on here. I’ve been testing this on a friends bubble’s site actually, and his is very large. Once it had finished caching things it made quite an improvement to his loading speeds and just general navigation round the site. I shall come back to you soon anyway.

2 Likes

@brian9
I’ve added a service worker section to the end of the original post which I hope will answer your question.

1 Like

Hello, thanks for this great plugin. Can you share the service-worker.js file?

Sure, here it is:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/appforest_uf/f1634533852186x752262194934467800/service-worker.js

I’ve modified the max number of cached images from 100 to 50.

1 Like

How does installing a service worker impacts updating an app? If i change my hero image but my users have cached the previous one, they wont see the new updated version

To be honest, on that level about how it knows which and when to update a file, I’m not completely sure about. I’ve not seen any evidence to show that would be the case but I’ll have a read up and get more of an understanding on how it handles this and get back to you. It uses Google Workbox which you can certainly read up more about here…

I have just installed the plugin. This is amazing. The pages loads almost instantaneous…Incredible

is it all safe to use? Why only 4 installs? @pork1977gm

I’ve spoken to few people who have used it and they all say the same with regards to the speed improvements, I’ve not heard anything bad yet! I don’t know why only 4 installs, figured it might gain some attention over time.

The service worker part of it though (in my opinion) is a definite must for all us Bubble users. It makes a huge improvement on page loading speeds since it caches a lot of the data so it doesn’t need to redownload it every time. When any of the cached data within the browsers local storage detects a change in content/size, then it’s updated automatically with a later version. The only thing is doesn’t cache is direct data from things such as repeating groups.

I find the performance timing plugin interesting. How did you develop the service worker? Did you use any of the Workbox tools?

The service worker itself was put together using the information primarily based in these pages…

https://developers.google.com/web/tools/workbox/guides/get-started

https://developers.google.com/web/tools/workbox/guides/using-plugins

https://developers.google.com/web/tools/workbox/modules/workbox-sw

From there, it was just a case of building it up over time, running a ton of tests and just tweaking things until I found a happy medium for most Bubble users. I haven’t taken the time to read up on all the aspects that come with Workbox, but you can do with more with it.

Once you have it setup and understand how it works, then you can write the service-worker as you see fit.

FYI @yogeshdhakal.me

In case anyone doesn’t know how to install the service worker part of it, this is what you do…

Install the plugin and pop the element somewhere on your page, check the option called Use service worker as shown below.

Download a copy of the prepared service-worker.js file from here so you can upload it to your root files.

Now go into your Editor Settings, go to the SEO / metatags tab and upload the file. Make sure the file name is named exactly service-worker.js as shown below.

Refresh your page and that’s it. The first time the page loads it will need a litle time to collect the various information to cache. After subsequent reloads, you should start to notice the page load faster.

If you want to double check that it has been installed from inside the browser, then you can refer back to the initial post under the SERVICE WORKER section.

Loving the service worker functionality - I have seen some speed loads improvement.

How often does it update the browser’s cache if there’s a change? Every two hours? Instantaneously when it detects a change?

I’d like to add it to more pages on my app but I want to confirm the frequency of the cache updating if content has changed

Great, glad you’re seeing the speed improvements. So there isn’t a mechanism so to speak where it updates every X hours or anything, it does so either when you navigate to a new page which is within scope of the service worker (all your bubble pages) or when the service worker hasn’t been invoked for more than 24 hours which is enforced by all browsers I believe, at which case the cache get updated.

There’s an interesting post about someone asking the same question here actually, progressive web apps - Service worker JavaScript update frequency (every 24 hours?) - Stack Overflow which you might find useful.

Thank you!

can this plugin help with situation when you need write some data in database in the moment when a user is offline? may be after he again stay online?

hi @kvitok8320,

It can’t do that at the moment I’m afraid. You could write whatever data it was to local storage for sure, and I believe there is a plugin which will do that for you, but you’d then need a mechanism in place to automatically get the data and resubmit it when the users comes back online.

Interesting challenge, would require a little thinking about. Maybe some others on the forum could help with that?