Primary Keys, Alternate Keys Clarification

Hi:

I am creating new “things” in Bubble but I don’t see a way to specify a primary key or enforce alternate keys in the DATA TYPES tab. And no way to specify an autoincrementing field. So that tells me I’m missing something fundamental to how bubble handles data.

Is there a resource of some kind that I can read to understand how bubble handles the database in terms of these types of keys and how I can enforce alternate keys and such?

Or is there someone who might be able to help explain or point to an existing forum post?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi there, @bluesyBlues… a longtime Bubbler named Nigel has written some great posts on this topic. Maybe this particular post could be helpful…

… and check out his responses in this thread, too…

Hope this helps.

Best…
Mike

1 Like

Hey Mike - thanks for those references. I guess the takeaway from reading those posts is to use list fields when possible. Too bad no one has been able to really articulate the performance tradeoffs between using list fields vs classical relational database techniques.

@bluesyBlues Hello!

Actually, as you suggest this is a critical performance topic. Complementing @mikeloc great suggestions, please review an insightful discussion in this forum with awesome contributions by many folks including frequent contributors @lottemint.md and @nocodeventure

In short, strong arguments made for building light objects indirectly related as much as possible. Here, another great resource (paid) by @petter. One of the best resources on building for performance in Bubble that I have come across:

Hope this contributes to your research! :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Thanks for the additional resources!

1 Like