Private / Attached File Questions

I’m currently familiarizing myself with Bubble’s file privacy feature. I’ve read the docs and searched the forum for insights, but I have a few questions:

• Is it possible to list all files attached to a Thing?
  • Is it possible to “detach” a file from a Thing?
  • Is it possible to attach a file from a workflow?

The answer to all questions seems to be no , but I want to make sure I’m not overlooking something.

It does seem odd that there’s no way to view all of a Thing’s attached files. :confused:

1 Like

What do you mean by attach a file from a workflow?

But for the rest and for what I know, it’s not possible. The file Manager need a lot of enhancement. This is a recent feature and I think that a few improvement need to be done. (Just like to be able to delete in batch)

I meant “attach to” a Thing (make private) from a workflow instead of on upload.

Sadly not for what I know actually

Yeah, and then there’s the orphaned file issue, which I raised again (guess I should have replied to that first post).

I still don’t know how best to either prevent or clean up orphaned files. I’ve been thinking I could use the “attach to” feature somehow to flag them, but there seems to be no way to list and filter files like you can in the file manager. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Is this impossible?

I’d like to move the attached file from one type of thing to another type of thing.

I don’t see a workflow to un-attach a file from a thing.

As far as I know, it is not possible. However, there may be no need, since access to a “private” (attached) file can be dynamically controlled through the Thing to which it’s attached.

So for example, one could create a Custom Type which represents the file - e.g. Design Spec - and attach the file to a thing of that type when the file is uploaded (added to Bubble storage). Then, only things which have access to the Design Spec will have access to the file; and access to Design Spec can be controlled through privacy rules.

So perhaps only users with the Admin or Engineer role should be able to see that file. Just configure privacy rules to that effect. If a user’s Engineer role is revoked (e.g. they leave the org or move to a different role), then they will no longer be able to access the file.

In short, if a Bubble type can’t “see” the Thing to which a file’s attached, then it can’t see/access the file itself.

great answer @sudsy ! What if I only wanted to grant access to one image on the design spec? It would be impossible…right?

I could only control access to all or none of the attached files in the privacy setting. It’s either on or off.

I could make DB structure changes to handle all future design spec uploads. Future images would get attached to a different thing (like data type “media”) instead of the entire design spec.

But what about all the design specs that have been built in the past? I’d need a workflow that would attach file to a different thing.

1 Like