[RELEASED] Advanced Alphabet / Letter Avatar

Hi Bubblers!

I’ve released a new plugin for Letter / Alphabet Avatar.

this work differently that the free one and have more options.
Will show two letters for name and surname and only one if only first name or username.
Choose your own color. Some fonts available. Change font color.
Refresh automatically if name is updated
Trigger event on click.
Show “?” if empty

Demo: https://sandboxjc.bubbleapps.io/avatar
Editor: https://bubble.io/page?type=page&name=avatar&id=sandboxjc&tab=tabs-1
Plugin page: https://bubble.io/plugin/advanced-alphabet--letter-avatar-1579306473189x811037924885790700

Don’t hesitate if you need help :wink:

11 Likes

Hi @Jici

You’re doing more work for me! :slight_smile: Can we change the square style to round style?
Great, thanks. At that price, I will buy a dozen! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes! Just use the normal “border roundness” @JohnMark
Demo is updated to show this option too :wink:

2 Likes

My first under 15 minutes request :slight_smile:

If empty, an option to remove the ? and keep only the color by default.

update @Jici : also :slight_smile: if you can reduce the title or connect the image with the text so we can see well your plugin (BDK has the same thing) :slight_smile:

@eve Only a suggestion, if Bubble can reduce the font size for longer title?

Why not :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I will work on that later

1 Like

This is useful, @Jici, well done!

1 Like

We’re looking at options for this as we head into the editor redesign. :wink:

4 Likes

Released. I’ve removed the / Letter for the name.
Demo updated

1 Like

@Jici It’s cool when everything is fast like that! :slight_smile: Thanks.

1 Like

This plugin seems to fit my needs perfectly; however, I noticed a small issue today that I can’t seem to figure out and may be a small bug somewhere. When you place the LetterAvatar element on the page and set it all up - it works fine; however, when you place that same element into a group - it no longer shows up. Oddly enough, when you place that group inside of a group focus element - it shows up inside of a group. So, it seems to be just a group on the main page itself causes the element to not show up.

I’ve scratched my head at this one for a while and can’t figure it out other than there might be a small bug somewhere. To test it, I just simply created a new page, added the element to the page with no group (all works fine). Then I added a group and added the element inside the group (didn’t show up). Then as a final step, I added a button with a groupfocus attached to it, so that when you click the button the group focus shows up - inside the groupfocus, I added a group and the element inside the group (it works also). It just seems to be an issue with a group on the page and the element placed inside.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I can have a look.
For now, I suggest you to try this:
Put the element not visible on page load, and set condition to be visible when the group is visible (even if the group is visible on page load). In some case, this is enough to fix this. But will have a look at this issue.

Thanks! I just gave this a try on my test page, but didn’t seem to change anything. In debugger mode, I can see that the element is there and should be visible on the page, but it isn’t actually visible. This seems to have the same effect as before for me. Thanks!

Hi,

Looks great - thanks!

Question though:
Is it possible to save the generated Letter Avatar as an image? For that matter, how does one capture any dynamically generated element…I assume it’s related…?

I should add, I’m trying to save this avatar image as the users default profile image upon account creation, rather then re-generating it on every page, for everyone who doesn’t have a profile image…?

Hi @chris.sj
Just released an update. You have a state “image” that you can store in DB now. This is an image field but a Base 64 version of the image (same thing that plugin use to avoid loading image on Bubble storage). You can save it directly into your DB using this state

2 Likes

hey @Jici

great plugin so thanks!

I have small issue tho :frowning: Unfortunately I need the image to be pretty big, with 300x300 I can count the pixels.

It this something I can address?

@bartek.dev
Pushed an update. Should be fixed now for bigger image

You are amazing! Thanks you so much

1 Like

New Releases
1.2.0: New state that contain the Base64 version of the image. You can use it to save to your DB.
1.2.1: Auto-adjust size of the image based on element height instead of a fixing size.
1.30 4 new settings: Adjust Letters size, vertical and horizontal position. Now handle up to three letters. So if you type Jack & Cath, this will display J&C or if name is John F. Anderson, result will be JFA. But you can also set a maximum number of letter to display between 1 to 3. So if you set 1, all Avatar will contain only one letter (like here in forum). If you set 1, John Anderson wil only display J. If you set 2 = JA.

You can test new setting in the demo page: https://sandboxjc.bubbleapps.io/avatar
Refresh editor and update!

1 Like

hi Jici,

You plugin seems to be just what I’m looking for - thanks! But, can you show how to do this in a video? I’m trying to show letter avatar as backup in case user does not upload a profile image & can’t quite understand what you mean here.

Thanks again

Hi!
If I understand correctly, what you need is two thing: One an image element and two, the plugin element avatar. The first one will display if current user avatar is not empty and the second will show if empty. Can you share a screenshot of what you tried?