[Request for feedback] "Slugs" for cleaner URLs for dynamic pages

Hello!

We’re evaluating the idea for a feature that lets users specify a cleaner, shorter “slug” for a particular Thing when it’s used in a dynamic page. For example, if you have a restaurant review site, this would allow you to have the URL myawesomesite.com/restaurant/levain-bakery, as opposed to …/levain-bakery-1594063135728x760423488335642600 which you have today.

(Though the evidence online does not support the idea that this matters greatly, if at all, to SEO, we know it’s a common feature request. We are not promising to build this feature - just assessing it for now :slight_smile: )

My question here is: how much control would you want over the slug of a given thing? Two extremes would be 1) you must specify the slug for a Thing explicitly in order for it to exist, or 2) Bubble will automatically generate and update slugs for you automatically. There are certainly intermediate answers here too.

(Put another way perhaps - how much control do you want over the slug of a thing?)

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

9 Likes

No need for it. Maybe just do it using a plugin on top. No need for it to be core functionality.

I think it would be great, even tho there’s no SEO value, in certain cases it could definitely be nicer to have cleaner URLs, especially for sharing pages/products etc to social media sites or other places. Plus it just looks nice.

2 Likes

I think have control over it would be a good idea. I can understand the helpfulness of it being automatic though too. We are “no-code” so having something easy is nice as well. Can there be both options?

@j805 www.NoCodeMinute.com

Hope that helps! :blush:

For my use case, it would be nice to get ilthe slugs based on the database item name (with any space and special character removed, no accent on letters such as é, è or even à … :blush:

That’s maybe the good compromise : slugs set automatically based on one of the field of the database items referred by the page.

2 Likes

Great feature!!

For us, the ability to use a specific slug such as instagram.com/user/postmalone would be very valuable. The use case for having this is for marketing. It’s much easier to tell someone to go to instagram.com/user/postmalone rather than having to try to explain a randomly generated url.

Also for generating unique coupons or usernames, it would be very valuable to have exact control over the slug.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the simplest way for this to work be for (in the definition of the Thing’s data type) one to be able to specify the “Slug Field”?

This would default to Unique ID (as it is now). Select a different field and now that’s the slug when viewing the Thing.

It’s not quite clear to me how one would handle disambiguation, though, vis-a-vis inbound requests for the page.

3 Likes

I would definitely like to have a feature like this. For pages where links are shared in different media (including print), readable slugs are a must. I think slugs should be auto-generated, with manual override option. Bubble should check if the manual override is unique.

4 Likes

+1!

Would love to have that feature. I don’t need to specify the exact slug’s name but I would like to define which field to turn into the unique slug.

2 Likes

I would like full control if possible, but more so I would be a lot happier to get nested urls (as have been requested elsewhere). Those two in combination would be pure bliss :grin:

Brilliant idea and useful no doubt. Currently its an issue when sending via SMS as its a very long string and eats away at the message length, just one example. a slug would make it way easier to share verbally and not just by copy/past. My 2 cents worth suggestion would be a short slug by default which can be edited manually or via a flow.

auto : https://mysite.com/aR2f

edited by flow or manually : https://mysite.com/mrjamessmith

Most of our page links are transaction based records so less of a need for custom slugs. I could use a link shortener though. Many of my page links are associated with records and have long links that include the uid.

This missing feature has never been a concern for the dozen of apps I’ve built for clients.
@allenyang I believe an overall of the plugin Editor would be much more useful. Its limitations keep us from creating plugins easy to use. This request has never been heard. Few users (plugin editors) are concerned, but the return would be huge for everyone using them.

1 Like

Would love this feature, and (my) customers would love it too,… should be core.

I would like to highlight that it would be important to keep backward compatibility too. For instance, I have quite a few dynamic pages ranked well on Google (with the id at the end of the URL) and if I am forced to define some form of new URL for each dynamic page, I’ll lose all the current rankings, as it’s a new URL in the eyes of Google.

In general I do like the idea of having cleaner URL’s, potentially using some fields from the page object, so that we don’t have to enter it separately each time.

1 Like

For me at least; creating it explicitly. Or we can have an automated solution that is open for edits if required

1 Like

I would love this too. I find that the way Wordpress works is really good. You can set the slugs on a site (post type) level and override as needed.

I would very much like to see this feature—I’ve built an application that uses this same logic, and while the workaround to enable it isn’t insane, it does layer in some additional querying complexity throughout the entirety of the app. The ability to set custom slugs as the resource ID in the URL would make this much simpler.

It would be really really really valuable to have this feature cause we have a LOT of pages which need a human readable url — authors and books pages.

I would love if Bubble will generate a slug for me and if I have possibility to customize a mask for a slug if I need to.