Saving Updates in Editable Popup

I did this once before, and my setting is the same as my other app, but for some reason, whenever I edit the initial input through the edit functionality in my app (as indicated by the pencil), it only saves what I’ve updated, and the rest of the copy disappears. What am I doing wrong?In the update workflow, in “Make changes to a thing”, I have to the inputs…am I doing that wrong?

It looks like you are saving the value from one input to each field on the thing in the database, therefore overwriting the other values. I would rename each of the inputs in the pop up so they each have distinct names and then go to the workflow and in the update action, make sure the appropriate input’s value is updating the right field.

I don’ t think I’m understanding. I thought I was just updating the initial input. Is that the wrong way to think about it?

There is two ways to think about it, front end and back end. The input is the front end and it can display the initial value of something in the database. When you change the value of the input, it doesn’t do anything to the database. The backend is the table in the database that you are making changes to. When you use the make changes to a thing, you are basically saying that the value of the input is what the value of the table field will be.

So, looking at the third picture you posted in the original post, you have the same input values being saved. Go back to your editor in the popup and rename the input element to match what it is:

1. First and Last Name
  2. Title
  3. Email
  4. Phone Number

Once you have done that, go back to the make changes workflow and make sure the input value you are using is from the right input. If everything is aligned appropriately, then the next step is to go back to the inputs in the popup. Make sure that you have set the initial value of the inputs to show the fields of the object in the database. That way, when you don’t update an input, its initial value is saved to the object. That might be why your copy is disappearing.

1 Like

Thank you!!