SEO question - text with headers vs. links with no headers?

H1, H2 etc. tags are quite important from an SEO perspective. You can use these with text fields. However, I don’t think you can embed a link in text fields?

Conversely, links are great for signalling your page structure to Google…but bubble doesn’t let you assign header tags to links.

Is there any way to get the best of both worlds? Or is it always going to be a trade off?

I may be misunderstanding the question… are you needing something beyond having a link within text (or having the whole text be a link) by inserting a hyperlink in the rich text editor or directly writing this code into the text field:

1 Like

Sorry @ed727 I might not have been clear.

I have two elements on my page. One is this link:

It’s a pretty basic link that’s just sending data to a page that’s setup for dynamic content. The nice thing about using links is they result in an actual href/hyperlink being shown in the DOM (see below). This is good from an SEO perspective.

Screenshot 2021-10-26 at 07.50.40

However, the downside of using links is that you cannot apply header tags (H1, H2, H3 etc.) to the link, which is unfortunate as would also be positive in terms of SEO

The second element I have is a repeating group with information on a specific datatype (“Jobs”),

Screenshot 2021-10-26 at 07.49.26

When you click on this repeating group you are again brought to the page that is setup for dynamic content. The difference is that I have to trigger this navigation via a workflow:

Screenshot 2021-10-26 at 07.55.47

This means that there is no href/hyperlink actually in the DOM for the repeating group, which I believe is a negative for SEO.

Screenshot 2021-10-26 at 07.58.19

On the upside, you can apply HTML tags for text elements. You’ll see below that the style I use for the job title has a H3 tag assigned to it.

Screenshot 2021-10-26 at 07.48.59

So basically I’m trying to figure out if there’s anyway I can get both header tags and hyperlinks in each element.

Hope that makes sense?

Re: whether a header tag on a link helps or not, I don’t know. But regardless if you want your site and data crawled, then clearly you need links for Google to follow.

Probably a few things for you to explore when using text as links:

• Create a Link element that holds the link, and then place a text element within that space.
  • Use a text element and write in a hyperlink that has the thing’s slug (this feels most SEO friendly since the URL will show up in your sitemap and the thing has its own unique URL now with its name in it)
  • Use a text element and put in a hyperlink that passes a parameter (like the thing’s unique ID). On the page it goes to, have it look for the unique ID on page load and then load up that thing.

Re: having text links to stay on same page vs. open up a new tab…

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughtful answer on this @ed727 - really helpful!

I liked the second option best, but unfortunately Chrome doesn’t as everytime I clicked on the link in the live version I would get the following popup

Screenshot 2021-10-26 at 20.46.43

Weirdly, I got no similar popup on the development version of my site.

So went with option 1 in the end. My DOM now has the href in it, although I’m not sure if it’s important to have the text and the href in the same element? You can see from below they’re two separate elements within the same div.

Screenshot 2021-10-26 at 21.25.11

Anyway thanks again for your help - much appreciated!

Glad I could help, but really weird on that chrome error message. It’s also weird that you got it on option 2 and not option 1 – since both should be doing the exact same thing in navigating to another page.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.