Show Bubble: Miniature (Warhammer etc) painting website

Anyone here into the whole Warhammer/Games Workshop world of miniature painting?

I’ve built an app, using Bubble, where miniature painters can showcase their painting skills and where people can find commission artists for hire, for when they don’t want to do the painting themselves.

I still have the website behind username/password, but I’d welcome the Bubble community checking it out and giving feedback. And if you are a Warhammer fan - please feel free to create an account and upload some content.

Here is the real website.

If you want to play around with the image uploading, etc, then feel free to upload whatever to the development version.

It was built using the Worklist template (nice template, zero support), and Uppy Pro plugin , which was a godsend to find (thanks @anders.eidergard!).

Thanks also to @Jici who has built a plugin to help me deal with this, daft, “expected behaviour” from Bubble.

As you will see, my main problem with the site is really around responsiveness - anywhere I have touched the UI really (!) - and that includes image resizing. Any tips would be very welcome!

Username/password are testers/testers

4 Likes

Very worthwhile watch:

2 Likes

Haha - yup - you sent that to me in a previous thread and I started watching it and have it bookmarked. Watching it is what I need to do next. Thanks again!

1 Like

Very cool site! When you start getting lots of people posting their work, you may want to start thinking ahead to how to classify things so people can search.

Thanks! You’re absolutely right. In fact, I only really started looking at how the search works last night. It is very rudimentary - working off the title of each project. I will need to add better search soon to make it useful

The site looks great—very professional and high end. I’m interested to keep up with this—I’ve played pathfinder and always had the urge to paint up my minis! As @ed727 mentions, adding categories or search parameters will be useful when you have lots of posts. Definitely keep us posted when you launch :+1:

1 Like

I’ve added a sub-header (via a GroupFocus) that explains who the site is for, as that was some early feedback - not clear if it’s for pros or amateurs. Thanks to that video @cmarchan I think I made to manage to make the header kinda work on mobile, but maybe not perfectly.

However, my additions to the header overall, plus the change I made to the main hero image, seem to have borked the responsiveness overall. If you compare the original template to my current version, you can see the difference. Unfortunately I don’t have the original template index page any more to see how it was originally set.

I am also still having problems with very basic responsiveness. :cold_sweat: << solved thanks to @boston85719 :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I tweeted and emailed a two week update on Monday. Here are the results:

It’s been two weeks since I released www.minnnis.com and so far it has had:

• 54 users, who have created:
  • 109 Projects (803 pics), that have been viewed:
  • 1341 times, by 517 unique visitors.

OK, Instagram it ain’t, but it’s not a bad wee start!

1 Like

Great stuff! Congratulations.

1 Like

on popup unload, A clear group action can be used, As its taking a while to replace existing pictures in the popup after a new group is clicked…

1 Like

so when the pop-up opens I should clear the Group first before the rest of the actions?

Its better to clear during “When a popup is closed”

1 Like

what’s the actual action here? I am doing “Reset PopupProject” when “PopuProject” is closed, but it makes no difference - same delay.

Reset the repeating group or if your popup state is accessed, Reset it to empty value

I’ve never actually managed to get this to work. It’s slightly irritating to be honest.

I wonder if it is because the element that actually shows the images is in a Reusable Element that is shown in these Popups? So I can try to Reset the popup - but the Reusuable element isn’t being affected.

Reckon there is any way around that?

Also - as general update - I had record traffic yesterday as I launched a competition. Over 300 visitors and 1200 page views. Normally it gets about 25 unique visitors a day. Loads and loads of people are creating content now! I am getting lots of requests to implement Project tagging to make it easier to navigate the data.

really awesome site, I just posted a picture too.
Just very simple to use and straight-forward.
best of luck with this.

re @melon s fair point.
I am assuming your popup has a reusable element in whose source is popups project or parent groups project.
Rather create a state type project. So when you click a project to show it in a popup you set that state to current cells project (instead of use display data)
Then add a workflow action: when popup is closed, set that same state of the popup to empty. that should hopefully make the next picture loading faster.

1 Like

I have just tried this, and it seems to not make a difference (on Dev at least). You still see the previous image for a split second.

I wonder if the difference might be more obvious on Live, as sometimes this delay to switch to the selected Project can be quite noticeable.

Can you try “Set State” to empty, When popup is closed

1 Like

Yup, that’s what I have done.

I think it’s better, but I’m not sure. Take a look yourself and see what you think.

Weirdly, sometimes the new Project Pic loads instantly, sometimes it does delay with the image of the previously opened Project. I would think it should not do that as the Project State should be cleared.

Annoyingly, I can’t test it with the debugger. I can’t open the Project while debugger is set to step-by-step. I presume that closing a Pop-up by clicking outside it still counts as properly closing a Pop-up according to the Workflow.

I finally managed to get this to work. Turns out I was resetting the wrong state. It is much better now. Thanks again!

1 Like