Sorting an RG with a thing's thing

Hello,
I have a sorting issue, that I still didn’t resolve even by reading the numerous discussions that were written about it. I tried asking directly in these discussions but I had no answers… So maybe creating a new topic is the way to have more visibility !

Basically, I have an RG that contains items, and each item has a field “itemGender” which is a Type “Gender” that I created. The type “Gender” contains the fields :

• “genderTitle” : “Men”, “Women” and “Both”
  • “genderRank” : 1 (for Men), 2 (for Women) and 3 (for Both).

What I wanna do is to sort my items by gender rank, not descending : so first the items with the gender “Men”, then the items with the gender “Women”, then the items with the gender “Both”.
I tried to sort the items with a dynamic field (now I think it’s called “Change which field…”) :

So I’m sorting with : Search for items > itemGender > genderRank (because the dynamic field name must be printable and it can’t be the type Gender), and then I do : “Descending : no”

But when I test it, no items are displayed on my page, and the debugger shows this error message :
(popular item week is the name of my RG)

I also tried with setting the dynamic sort field at “search for Gender : genderRank” but it shows the same kind of error message :

Do you know what’s wrong with what I did ?

Thanks a lot for your answer

Sorting and filtering is such a challenge to understand at first. Once you understand how things work with Bubble, it can get easier. :sweat_smile: Let me see if this can help:

Instead of having itemGender to contain a type Gender, can you just create a field in the itemGender called genderRank and use numbers?

That way you can sort it by itemGender’s genderRank #.

Does that make sense?

Hope that helps! :blush:

@j805 www.NoCodeMinute.com

For All Your No-Code Education Needs:

• One-on-One Tutoring
  • eLearning Hub
  • Video Tutorials
  • No-Code Classes

Hello, thanks for your answer
In deed, it works, but it is still weird and frustrating not to be able to sort by a specific type …

1 Like

Yeah. It’s something I struggled with for a long time. If someone has a better way to do this I would love to know how. I have searched all over the forum and even contacted Bubble support about this sort of thing. :man_shrugging:t2::blush:

Glad it’s working for you now.

2 Likes