Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Summing up totals in repeating group, outside of RG

Hello everyone, I’m fairly new to Bubble, but I have been a developer for about 20 years, so there’s some growing pains for me because I’m used to just doing everything manually with code. Bubble is incredible though, trying to get a product out quickly, which is why I chose this amazing platform versus building it from scratch like I have so often.

I think I’ve read every post on how to sum up totals in a repeating group, even tried the BDK plugin (which completely broke my page, had to remove it and then re-create everything again) but can’t get this to work. Here is my repeating group in the image, and basically what I need to do:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’ve tried so many things and suggestions I’m at a loss now, even thought maybe I need to create my own plugin but don’t really want to spend the time doing that if I don’t need to.

The totals I’m trying to sum up, by the way, are fixed. In other words they are populated automatically when each row is rendered, so as far as I know I can’t put those numbers into state because it’s not like the onchange event is firing for the total input boxes. But maybe there’s something simple I’m missing? Been trying to figure this out for hours, sorry if it’s something easy I’m missing.

Kind regards,

David

Hey @davidayres

Have a look at this demo I have that uses the List Shifter plugin to iterate over each cell and display a total.

Rob

1 Like

Hi Rob, thanks so much for replying and for the suggestion. I’ll definitely check this out and let you know how it goes, hopefully this afternoon sometime.

Kind regards,

David

1 Like

Interesting @robhblake ! Bookmarked your solution for using Keith’s list shifter plugin. Thanks!

@davidayres

Another approach would be to use Bubble’s functionality to make it all sing. It would require having your dB structured adequately and from then depending on how dynamic or static this use case is … to put different bubbling steps to achieve the result.

I take the liberty of suggesting this because you mentioned that you are a developer. Bubble is conceived by its founders to be a visual programming language. So, if you also learn the ropes of doing things without plugins, you may complement your understanding of this visual language more comprehensively going forward. (… sorry for the looping in my words … been looking at computer screens all day!) :+1:t2::grinning:

2 Likes

Hello, and thanks again Rob for your help, I see what you’re doing there and had to re-think my database structure as well as my repeating group a bit. I’m so used to using PostgreSQL or MS Sql Server as my back end I’m not quite used to Bubble’s DB yet :slightly_smiling_face: I can get it working with the changes I made and your suggestion, just need to test things out a bit more.

And thanks @cmarchan, you’re definitely correct, my database wasn’t quite right. I was thinking too relational I guess, it seems Bubble’s DB is more like a document database like MongoDB or Firebase, which I have only used a small amount in the past.

Kind regards,

David

1 Like

@davidayres

Here an example of what I meant (great post by the legend @NigelG!)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.