Video Capabilites for Training/Educational Site

Hi - trying to feel out the capabilities around videos. I’d like to build a site where our employees can go to view videos as part of our ongoing OSHA training requirements. Was wondering if the following was possible with Bubbles current video set up:

1. Is it possible to know (as an administrator) if a user has viewed a video?
  2. Can the system save the point in a video where the user left off (if they did not complete)
  3. I would like to assign a point system - so 1 min of watching a video = 1 point, possible?
  4. Need to know when a user finishes a video to trigger some other workflows that happen after they complete training
  5. Think I saw answers to this in previous posts, but will ask again, is signature capture possible?

Thank you!

I’m sure the admin can keep track of whether or not a video has been played. As playing a video, involves a Workflow, where a thing (field) can be incremented.

BUT… as for saving or keeping track of the video’s minutes played, or stop point, I doubt this is possible right now. (But I may be wrong.)

For this problem, I think you would do better to create a little quiz after the video and keep track of the number of correct answers. This could certainly be done with Bubble. (Of course all the correct answers will need be included in each video.) And if they didn’t get enough right answers, they want to (have to) watch the video again.

Personally, I watch a lot of video tutorials-- and I’d certainly be paying much closer attention, if I knew there was a quiz afterwards.

1 Like

Hey Paul - thanks for the response. The quiz at the end is a good idea, may use that.

As for the using the video in a workflow, as a thing that can be incremented…could you expand on that please?

Increment simply means keeping a counter on how many times the Workflow for each video was run. I gather you don’t have a lot of programming experience. If so, you still can take advantage of Bubbles amazing productivity. Figure out what you want, then contact one of the Partners to do the coding for you. https://bubble.io/partners

I have small bit of programming knowledge and I’m a little familiar with Bubbles workflows - I know what I want and I’m trying to figure out how to do it by asking questions on this forum.

I thought you may have had a potential solution to my questions when you spoke about incrementing.

Appreciate your time.

Is it possible to know (as an administrator) if a user has viewed a video?

Yes you would record that either on page load, or when you set the element with the video to show.

Can the system save the point in a video where the user left off (if they did not complete)

I would say doing it directly would be fairly tricky, but you could do it by timing the page load > time they pressed a button to quit. And then use that in an HTML element if the video was playable from a point that way. Not possible via inbuilt bubble I don’t think.

I would like to assign a point system - so 1 min of watching a video = 1 point, possible?

Just about possible, if you use a button to “Stop”. Them closing their browser is going to difficult to work out. I am sure the server end knows when it stopped streaming, so you might be able to get it from the Video Players API.

Need to know when a user finishes a video to trigger some other workflows that happen after they complete training

If you know the length of the video, you could use a delay to show a different button when the workflow ends ?

So I think you could hack it together fairly simply, but ultimately you are going to want to be able to work at the video server end to get all this, rather than guessing in Bubble. So you need to see if the providers allow this.

1 Like

So just thinking out loud here (have to go back and test) - if I were to combine @NigelG and @Townsend advice - I could hack this on Bubbles end (because most of my wishlist involves server manipulation):

On page load, have a “Play Button or Shape”, that hides the video, once user clicks button/shape, the video appears, begins to play, and a timer begins (maybe the video is a thing with a field of “duration of video”), timer will be set to “duration of video”, once timer is up, a 3-4 question quiz, that was hidden appears and the submit button takes user to a completion page if they pass the test"

…I think I can make that work for my company. Quiz might pop up before video is finished if user were to pause the video, but might have to live with it for now.

Going to give that a try, if you see any snags in my logic, please comment.

Thank you.