Want to allow for an empty search

Hi all,

I have a page that allows visitors a way to search projects, a data type on my site.

The issue I’m running into is that sometimes I want the user to be able to send data to the page and sometimes I don’t. But I can’t seem to get around this error:

Is there a way around this?

Thank you all so much!

Jen

From the link there, I’m not sure I can see your concern. Can you provide more details? What’s a use case you’d want an empty page, and what type of page is it, and how do I get there?

Also, I LOVE the UI/UX of this site. One of the best I’ve seen on Bubble, nice job.

:blush: Thank you!!

And, yes, of course.

From the home page, I ask the user, “what do you want to try?” And I want the term they enter to carry over to the search page.

Home:

Search:

But I’d also love to be able to send the user to the search page where all project appear. Meaning can I add buttons and links that just say something like “get trying” and they land on the search page with all terms and locations appearing.

(At this point, I’m not worried about load time because it is so early in the game. If all goes well in the coming months, I’ll need to change this, but that’s a lovely problem for another time.)

Thank you so much!

Oops. Missed the screenshot example…
Something like this try button:

Ok, I see. I think you want to play with sending a parameter to the page that will then be used as the search term. In this case, if I search for “Turkey Basting” on the home page, when you navigate me to the search page, you want to pass “turkey basting” as a parameter that the search page reads and populates the search field automatically with. I haven’t done parameters much, but there are many threads on the forums about it. I’d start there, I think.

Thank you!

I’ve got the terms passing through okay but I can’t seem to make it so bubble is okay with no terms going through.

I was thinking I could try to pass something through but leave it blank but that didn’t work. Though, that might have been user error. I’m new to bubble.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Can you send a space? As in, a single space bar tap?

Oooh! I think I got it. I don’t know if this is the right way to approach the problem but what I did was place the button in a group where the group’s content type is set to search. Then, when asked what data to send, I put in “current group’s search.” There is nothing else there to send so the user’s sees all when the land on /try.

Backflip! Thank you!

Neat!