What to choose? Responsive or 2 versions?

I have to build a social network with a marketplace feature + some other features related to the niche (tourism).

I find it quite difficult to make it responsive because in the design sketch some buttons in the mobile version are not present in the web version + other elements are positioned quite differently.

What would you recommend: make a version for web and a version for mobile or try to make it responsive as much as I can. Thanks in advance! :smiley:

Responsive

3 Likes

Why did you pick responsive? Is it performance wise, costs wise or?

Because imagine duplicating every workflow, later when changing a workflow having to also update the mobile version, forgetting one tiny search constraint on the mobile version compared to desktop version, all of those are :smiley: :gun: worthy

3 Likes

Because you will suffer from making double work, miss something for sure and will have to switch to responsive approach in the end :slight_smile:

1 Like

Go for 100% Responsive. otherwise, to much work.

1 Like

Responsive is doing it the right way the first time…you will thank yourself later! Once you get into the responsive engine, it does start to make more sense. Admittedly there’s still a lot of trial an error, but once I started thinking about groups within groups, using a specific layout for a specific group, inside of a group with another specific layout, it honestly really did come together for me.

One thing I have done to make the whole process it bit easier, is I work backwords within the responsive engine. I start with a design that looks good / works good for mobile (320-350px wide) and from there modify it to work with larger browsers. This way I’m not making compromises in the smaller mobile sizes, and I can make sure from the get-go that all the info I want the mobile version to see, is able to fit on the page.

1 Like

Most companies are converging the mobile and web version into a responsive page. Modern designs are mobile-first and tend to be much simpler than older web browser designs. I believe having a well-designed and clean mobile app is a huge differentiator. So many suck and are hard to use.

1 Like

Responsive, Responsive, Responsive!

I used to have double of everything almost, for Desktop and then mobile view. But, as time goes on and I realized how I can improve old ways, it takes waaaay to long to re-do the work twice. It’s just a huge pain. Also tracking bugs can get very exhausting because you think you’ve done it the same way in 2 different areas, but one little > symbol is missing the or equal to causing nothing to work but you’re so tired your eyes overlook it 300 times. (A tad specific I know.)

When you go the responsive route, it’s one and done.

1 Like

@teenhype69 This may be relevant to you once they get this feature rolled out:

1 Like

Nice, thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.