Why in the world are database dates a different type than Today?!?!

What I was trying to accomplish when I ran across this is the same as in this post, but my question is broader than that: I’m asking about the design decision. And this is pretty serious because it is probably enough of an issue (in concert with the unwarranted rude and dismissive support in that linked post) to make me jump ship if you guys can’t handle types properly.

If a field in a database is marked as a date type, and it contains a time component, why is it not the same type as Current Date & Time?

(hovering over both of them, they say Evaluates to a date)

Maybe you can post screenshot of your setting and this will be easier to help and try to understand your issue

OK, that’s the weirdest thing. I went back to attempt to duplicate the issue and show you the weird popup that seemed to be from a non-date type, and now it doesn’t do it anymore!

The formula I was trying to use before (that it wouldn’t let me at first, but now does) was extract Date:

<span class="dynamic">Parent group's prayer</span><span class="dynamic">'s devotion date</span><span class="dynamic">:extract date</span><span class="dynamic"> &lt; </span>
<span class="dynamic">Current date/time</span><span class="dynamic">:extract date</span>

I apologize everyone for this mishap, and not realizing that it was only a temporary glitch!

1 Like