Will deleting an app make the name available again?

Hi Folks

Just want to know if I delete an app - will it then free up that app name so I can create a new one?

We have a new MVP but I want to keep the same URL as the first MVP.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be great !

Thanks
John

Hi there, @john.buchelinā€¦ yes, deleting an app does free up the name so you can create a new app with that same name.

Bestā€¦
Mike

3 Likes

Excellent - thanks Mike!

1 Like

Well, I have just deleted my app so as to start over. Now, when recreating I get the message "Sorry ā€˜name of the appā€™ is alredy taken. :frowning:

1 Like

Either you got super unlucky and someone created an app with the same name in that time or it hasnā€™t updated and should be available in a few seconds.

1 Like

Bumping into the same issue. I had App 1, which I wanted to copy into App 2.

So I created App 2, then saw the copy button, and deleted App 2 in order to Copy App 1 ā€œinto itā€ instead.

Upon attempting to do so, I see the message that App 2 name is already taken.

Stuck. Hopefully this resolves itself.

It looks like this behavior has changed since I posted my response in July. I tried a test this morning, and the name of an app I deleted the better part of an hour ago is still not available for use with a new app. I know that wasnā€™t the case back in July (i.e., names of deleted apps were available immediately).

Who knowsā€¦ maybe Bubble is only flagging the apps for deletion now and then actually deleting them via a bulk operation at a certain time of the day, but again, the behavior is definitely different now.

Bestā€¦
Mike

1 Like

Confirmed that 24 hours later and the name of my deleted app is still ā€œTakenā€. Might write into support given Iā€™m not sure how fastidiously they read this forum.

2 Likes

@eve @josh @emmanuel Can you give some insight on this please?

Hello folks! Weā€™ve updated this behavior recently, so old app names are no longer available even after app deletion. Since these app names are used primarily for indexing purposes ā€“ that is to say, theyā€™re not visible to your users after youā€™ve upgraded to a plan where you can place your app on a custom domain ā€“ weā€™ve chosen to do this to allow our team a better means of keeping track of deleted applications.

We are also working on a way to allow our Success team to ā€œfree upā€ these app names upon user request, so once that feature is available youā€™ll be able to write in to us at support@bubble.io and have us permanently clear out your old appā€™s history to reuse the name.

5 Likes

Thanks, @eve. This is similar to what I just heard from Carla at support (quoted below). Iā€™d be very interested that ā€œfree upā€ feature once itā€™s complete - a drag not to have access to a name because I own the deleted instance!

ā€œThanks for reaching out; we are sorry to hear about this experience! While, we do not recycle app names, we are reevaluating if there is way for us to allow then to be reused once an app has been deleted and will update the community if our policy on this changes. Do keep in mind that once an app is on a custom domain, the name of the app will no longer be visible to your end users. The app names are only used for indexing purposes on Bubbleā€™s end. Let us know if you have further questions!ā€

2 Likes

Well, now we know. I wish I could edit my initial response in this thread to tell anyone who comes across it in the future to keep reading past that response, but no dice.

@john.buchelin, because itā€™s your thread, I believe only you can mark a response as the solution, and I would suggest you mark Eveā€™s response as the solution to this thread.

1 Like

@simon.riker @eve Hello, Iā€™m just facing with the same situation, which brought me here now. Iā€™m also very interested in the free up name feature. What would be the best way to know the status on the progress of the feature so that we could write to the support at appropriate timing?

2 Likes

All of our releases are displayed on the Releases page, so keeping an eye there is your best bet! Our team can also add your info to our ticket if you write in to us at support@bubble.io :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excellent - thanks Eve !

Good idea - all done.
Thanks

1 Like

Well shoot. I wish I had known that. I havenā€™t even gotten started yet and Iā€™m stuck.
:sob:

Well thatā€™s to bad. I have a business name and logo with the app name Iā€™ve chosen. Being very new to Bubble, like other platforms, I thought I could just start over. So I deleted my app and cannot get the app name back. My only hope is, because I own the domain and have website, I can develope under a working name, then host on my domain. If not, I have to move platforms before even starting on what looks like an amazing platform

@tbcguytb Your app name is really not that important - unless youā€™re intending to leave it on a Bubble domain.

If you use your own domain then no-one will even see the app name once itā€™s published on your domain.

Sometimes Iā€™ve got apps Iā€™m working on whoā€™s Bubble name bears no relation to the company name or domain that the app is eventually for, so I wouldnā€™t worry too much about your app name.

By the way, you can ā€˜changeā€™ your app name as it appears on your App Dashboard at any time just by clicking on the name and typing a new one (even if itā€™s the same as an existing app). It wonā€™t actually change the App ID or the Bubble subdomain your app is on, but it will change how it appears in your dashboard for easy reference.

1 Like

Thanks Adam. I shall carry on then. Iā€™m excited about this platformšŸ˜ƒ

1 Like