Would love to see Bubble move to a WP-esque structure with licensing fees vs. Bubble hosting partly because of the outages

Continuing the discussion from Postmortem on today's incident coming soon:

I’d love to see an option to self-host and pay licensing fees to Bubble vs. relying on them to maintain our apps. Ours has thousands of users/month, and these outages really hurt our brand. I can’t imagine the difficulty of trying to ensure production apps aren’t affected by constant updates/fixes from the Bubble team, and kuddos to them for trying, but it’s just not a feasible long-term structure, imo.

As someone who came from the WordPress world, I greatly appreciate that WP updates and maintenance can be completely managed by each business, vs. WP themselves trying to make sure their updates don’t break 1/3 of the internet. Bubble has grown to the point where there are an insane amount of production apps running on it, and there’s just no way they’re going to be able to maintain everything to the standard we need (and not for lack of trying) simply due to the impossibly wide array of apps with various plugins, versions, etc.

Even if the cost were double a “Professional” plan (or whatever it’s called with the new pricing plans), that would still be worth it to ensure a consistent experience for our users with a self-hosted option.

6 Likes

I think Bubble is still managed like a small software company because the founders still run the business. I respect everything they do but in order to grow, one company should have a CEO with a different mindset. Google for example, became Google after Eric Schmidt became the CEO in the third year of the company. Bubble needs to open the platform to third parties more including IDEs (the visual editors) that can work with Bubble. The community would add a lot of nice editors by far faster than Bubble itself at this point. If you try to do everything yourself as a company, you fail more than distributing the workload because at the end of the day, your resources are limited. Especially a company promising to find the next level of software development, which is modeling only. My personal opinion.

@samnichols’s suggestion makes sense in this regard: still keeping the ownership of the technology but distributing the workload.

2 Likes

That would be great! The consideration if you want to stay with bubble to scale the business rather than just proving the MVP of your product and then move on to build your own code would be tilted much in favor of staying with bubble for longer.

1 Like