Any way to search for which actions edit a particular filed in the database?

I know I can search for the fields that “use” a particular field in the database, but wondering if there’s a way to see which actions actually create, edit, or delete data from a particular field (or table)?

You’ve probably tried this as well but the only way I know of is to use “Search by Action Type” --> “Create a New Thing” (for example), then enter the Field Name in the “Contains text” input.

(Then repeat for “Make Changes to a Thing” and “Delete Thing”.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hadn’t thought of that either. You’re knocking them out of the park tonight! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aw, nice! :grinning: Got a lucky streak going today! Thanks, Scott!

I don’t think it has anything to do with luck!

1 Like

Thanks to you both, but unfortunately, this doesn’t work for me. It doesn’t find any of the ‘Create a new thing’ actions I’m looking for. Is there another way to find these?

Hi @philnauta :slight_smile: Can you share some screenshots of your search and the field you are looking for?

Thanks @fayewatson, here you can see I’m searching for creating a new ‘Volunteer Opportunity’. The search finds 2 other things, but not what I’m searching for (you can see what I’m searching for in the ‘Step 1’ action to the left).

29%20AM

It seems the ‘Contains text’ doesn’t find data tables.

@philnauta Hmm, it looks like the search only picks up certain words! I just re-created your setup with “Volunteer Opportunity” and had no results as well:

But when I changed the data type name to something shorter (Volunteer), it works:

Then I thought the field name may need to be one word, so I tried “Volunteeropp”, which didn’t return any results:

I’m not sure if the app search is meant to work in this way, so it may not be a bug, but it might be worth raising to see if there’s something we’re missing!

Thanks for taking the time @fayewatson. Great testing idea. When I rename the data type to Volunteer, it finds the actions, but I think that’s because the word ‘Volunteer’ is somewhere in the action. When I rename the data type to VolunteerOpp, it doesn’t find anything, and the same when I rename it to something jibberish.

I guess the search functionality isn’t built to find actions on data types, but it should - that’s important when apps get complex!