Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Auto-binding and the Dynamic list

Hi, help and education appreciated,

I have had trouble for days trying to use a dynamic list on any field that has auto-binding. I have written up my two step process with screen shots, hoping someone can explain why my approach doesn’t work, and advise a solution. I don’t want to use a static list, because the selection has other fields associated with it that I then want to use in other use cases and I also want the lists to be added to by users.

Step 1) creating a thing
Step 2) editing that thing using auto-binding

Step 1) creating a thing

Inputs

Add thing

It works brilliantly, no issues. The Input Drop Down reads from a Type with filters, see screen shot - this one is important for my problem statement

Step 2) editing that thing using auto-binding

Display group and pass data from repeating group

Group has these inputs - field in question is Service

As you can see no options are available to bind the data, if I drop back to static (I don’t want to) - the options become available

Thanks for reading, and appreciate assistance if possible.

Cheers

Neil

@neilgellett

Thanks for detailing your problem!

My guess is that you are trying to auto-bind a field that is from a different datatype.

Please, if that is the case and you need that it works this way, what you could do instead of auto-binding is using the event “An input’s value is changed” for this dropdown:

https://manual.bubble.io/core-resources/events/element-events#an-inputs-value-is-changed

In the event you create an action to “make changes to thing”:

https://manual.bubble.io/core-resources/actions/data-things#make-changes-to-thing

I hope this helps!

Hi Mateus,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve used your method as a workaround for now, I’ve left my Text fields to update via Auto-binding, switched the drop downs to use the input changed > make changes to a thing method.

The datatype piece feels like an enigma I can’t crack, I’ve tried so many different ways.

Thanks

Neil

Hi Mateus,

A follow on, I think I’ve narrowed in on the issue, maybe. Wondering if you know:
Field I’m trying to bind to has a Field Type of “Number” - only fields with “Text” are available to auto-bind to in the drop down. How do I change the drop down to be a "Number " format?

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil,

Glad to help and thanks for let me know it worked!

About the field type of number, I am sorry if I didn’t understand it right, but here you can change the dropdown type of choice to number:

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 08.38.10

https://manual.bubble.io/core-resources/elements/input-forms#type-of-choices

The field you are trying to auto-binding also needs to be the type of number and it needs to enabled in the privacy rules.

Please, let me know if it helps!

Thanks,
Mateus

Mateus,

I knew the answer was staring me in the face! Thanks, I’ve fixed it for dynamic choices.

Thanks once again

Neil

Neil,

No problem, glad to help! We are all learning!

Best,
Mateus

A follow on if you know. If I flip the situation to a Static list, with the options: 1 , 2, 3, 4, 5 - and try to bind this to a number field - it only gives me the fields that are formatted as text to bind to - so clearly the drop box needs to be formatted as a number to resolve this, but the ability to format that drop box disappears when you change it to a static list? Ideas?

Cheers

Neil

@neilgellett

When you use static options, the content type is changed to text. My suggestion in this case is, use the toolbox plugin and create a list of numbers, use this list of numbers as the data source for your dropdown list.

This way you can keep the dropdown list as number in the content type.