Backend Workflow - changing date of email to send

Hi, I’m creating backend workflows that email my user’s customers that a payment is due, 3 days before the due date.

If the due date is changed by a user do I need to action something to change the backend workflow?

Many thanks
Lisa

If the due date is changed by a user do I need to action something to change the backend workflow?

The answer to that will depend on how you’re going about setting up and scheduling the email…

But, if you’re scheduling the email (to be sent 3 days before the due date) when the thing that contains the due date is created, then that workflow will be scheduled to run on that date, even if the due date is subsequently changed.

In order to change the date the email is scheduled for you’ll first have to cancel the original scheduled workflow, and reschedule it for 3 days before the new due date. You’ll have to do that any time the due date is changed.

Another approach, is to run a backend workflow every day, that checks for payments due in 3 days time, and schedules the email to be sent immediately for user’s who’s payment is in 3 days time. This approach won’t require any cancelation and rescheduling of workflows if a due date changes.

This would definitely be better! Would this be run a workflow on a list of things? I’m really nervous that it’ll try to email all the people on the list at the same time

And if you have time a run through on how to do it would really save my sanity!

Yeah, you could use ‘Schedule workflow on a list of things’ (if it’s a small list)… or define a list to run a single workflow on recursively for larger lists…

That list will just be a search for User who’s payments are due in 3 days time (be careful how you set your search constraints up… be sure to include payments due at any time on the due date etc.)

1 Like

@adamhholmes sorry to hassle you…but am I remotely on the right track?

This workflow is to send a reminder email the week before an event.

• I have a recurring workflow that schedules an API workflow on a list of things
  • In that, I have a ‘scheduled api workflow on a list’ which is searching for bride’s event date rounded down to day - 7 (so sends a week before)
  • The API workflow that sends the email
  • The API workflow in that is then the actual API workflow that sends the email

Thanks so much in advance for your help! I’m so lost with this

Yeah, that looks almost correct…

You’ll need to adjust your search constraints though - as currently you’ll only be emailing Brides who’s event is precisely at midnight (whcih I’d guess will be none)…

So you’ll want to do a search for brides with the following constraints:

Bride event date ≥ Current date/time: rounded down to day + (days) 7
Bride event date < Current date/time: rounded down to day + (days) 8

Then just select the API workflow to run on the list (i.e. the one that sends the email), schedule it to run NOW (current date/time), and set the ‘bride’ parameter to be ‘This Bride’.

1 Like

Thanks Adam, much appreciated!! Will give it a try

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.