Can I use an API to pull book details from Amazon (or similar)

Is there a way I can use an API to allow a user to type in a book title and it then saves the book with all its details (thumbnail, rating, author…) to a “play list” on the bubble developed website

Generally yes you can get book data into Bubble by API. If you find a perfect API for it, please post back here. Google Books API is good for the basics, but spotty pricing data. I tried ISBNDB but that was hit or miss, so I cancelled after free trial. Haven’t tried Amazon specifically.

If you can get away with having the user to input an ISBN rather than a title, it’ll be easier for you to hook up.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSECommerceService/latest/DG/ItemSearch.html

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSECommerceService/latest/DG/EX_LookupbyISBN.html

Something like this?

Thanks for the reply edd.

It looks like David, below, has found a way to use titles instead of ISBNDB

If I find any more I will post here

Hi David,

That looks perfect, especially the Item Search ability.

I will have to give this a go. Ultimately I would like a user to login into their amazon account and their lists on the Bubble site are automatically populated by the books in their kindle library, same with audible and podcasts

Experimenting with different Book API solutions atm myself , so it would be helpful to know a thing or two:

1. What was the stumbling block which made you turn away from ISBNDB?
  2. Also, was your requirement a high traffic with the Google API? Assuming the quota is 1000 requests/day (not sure about this, docs seem to be a bit inconcise?), so this kind of information would be more than useful.
  1. ISBNDB’s API literally just returned no results for half the books I looked up, hence “hit or miss”. Their support was also awful in that it wasn’t until a month after I cancelled my trial that someone wrote back to me, by which point I’d moved on.
  2. No, my use case was to just pull in book data as my users were updating their profiles, and it’s a niche app, so I had no concern about a 1000 request/day limit.

That’s really helpful info, thanks a lot man.
Cheers

Any updates on this? The links posted by @david17 don’t seem to work anymore

I was also using ISBNbd API for fetching data for a conceptual platform. It was missing so bad, after charging a specific amount monthly. And half of the data is not even placed in the DB. Due to which i just switched to Google Books API. And now i am happy with Google Books, because if some info is missing, but it’s completely free.