Can integrate live streaming into my bubble app?

I want to build a platform that has different profiles and the ability to live stream. Is this possible to do with bubble. I am just starting to learn the platform. But before I dive in fully I want to make sure this is a possibility.

Thanks so much for the help ahead of time !

-Matt

1 Like

Do you want to be able to live stream to everyone (public), or do you want to live stream to only people with a link? (private)

Hi Xann thank you for getting back to me!

Im keeping my options open so, both. Private streaming and Public streaming.

What capabilities does bubble have to do this ?

Here’s your answer:

That’s a very old answer. I’m looking into this now and I’m not so sure that’s the case anymore based on where Tokbox/Vonage, Agora, and Twilio are at with live video streaming and plugins.

While I haven’t had a project need it yet (just some quotes) the above all have plugins for Bubble. They each have a few advantages depending on how many people you want to live stream too, how easy you want the plugin to be to use, and what price you want to pay.
What’s your experience with Bubble thus far?

Yes, I have integrated Twilio and Zeroqode’s Agora plugin. Honestly, I think they both provide a bad user experience on live video out of the box (without building your own plugin it would be impossible to fully optimize the experience). It’s not easy to match UX like Zoom

I would say that Twilio is the easiest from a developer side as it is widely used. If you’ve set it up for text or used Sendgrid for emails (owned by them), then it makes it even easier. Though when we were quoting recently we decided on Agora for pricing and decent ease of use, though we would have had to build a custom plugin for it to save the recordings. No plugin presently saves live recordings.

1 Like

@alex, do I understand correct that any pricing concerns relating to Twilio or Agora video evaporates if one intends on charging their users per minute for video chat on their app? (as far as I understand both Twilio and Agora charge minimal pay as you go per minute amounts for their video chat apis)

That is correct. Sorry for the late reply, missed this. And their per minute uses are very low.

1 Like

If you need to host a live service, you can try using this plugin with Agora: Easy Live Streaming with Agora Plugin | Bubble

Everything is straightforward in that plugin, and it is easy to use.

1 Like

If you’re serious about this, I’d definitely consider using @lola’s excellent Daily.co plugin, along with the Mux integration packaged with @pork1977gm’s spectacular Video.JS plugin. Happy building :beers:

1 Like

Thanks for the shoutout @ada happy to help with the Daily plugin or answer any questions if you have them!

What is lacking in the Daily plugin and contained by the VideoJs plugin?

@salemmo409 with Daily’s service, you still need RTMP link to take the video and audio to your streaming platform. If you wanted to stream to youtube for example you’d get the link from there. Mux basically provides a destination for your live stream.

Thank you @lola, Is there a comprehensive reference for all the elements and actions of the Daily plugin? Or may be a set of links to various sources that explain the various elements and actions?

There are some resources:

• Here’s a blog post that includes most of the plugin actions with direct links to what they do, there are some newer elements that aren’t defined here yet but each action does have a documentation reference within the plugin itself.

• Daily’s API documentation can be helpful the actions, for the most part come from the API as well as the livestreaming guide for live streaming specifically.

But happy to answer any questions about what you’re trying to build; I may even have some demos to share!

1 Like

It’s been a minute since I’ve thought about this, but VideoJs is loaded with capabilities that might prove useful depending upon your project. Principally, though, it would enable you to store recorded live-streams and then stream them to users at a later date in a performant way, whereas I believe Daily is primarily focused on the live-streaming/video-conferencing piece. @pork1977gm (the developer) can address better than me, though.

1 Like

Yep exactly that, @lola’s plugin is perfect for video chats etc and it’s a lot easier to setup than the streaming implementation I’ve done in the videoJS plugin.

The live streaming I’ve put in place, utilises the MUX streaming services only and uses WebRTC but it’s not suited for video chats because it’s just not quick enough. It requires you to setup some middleware (I use an Azure webApp in my demos) that accepts the video data coming from the user’s browser and forwards it directly to the MUX endpoints using the correct protocol. You can’t send the video data directly from any browser straight to MUX, simply because it has to be received on a protocol which browsers don’t support.

@lola’s plugin makes all this easy because I believe Daily probably have their own infrastructure in place to deal with the data. I’ve not read up on exactly how it works but I think it will be something like that.

2 Likes