My app is a language teaching aid. I want students to be able to access expressions they’ve learned after the lesson through a learning portal.
I save the expressions as a list of texts within a Lesson object. In the Learning Portal, the student will see a list of lessons they participated in and can see further details when clicking on a lesson.
The problem is it just displays the list as one item instead of 1 text per line:
Here is how the data is entered in the repeating group:
I stored the data of the selected lesson in a custom state. Please let me know what I’m doing wrong.
Hi does anybody have any insights?
Man, it’s stuff like this that makes Bubble such a pain in the ass to use!
Try the “join with” operator on the list of texts and use whatever symbol (e.g. new line) to make it look the way you want.
Hope this helps
Try using ‘Add list’ when saving to the database, You should be able to display each item separately in a repeating group.
I tried it and it didn’t work at all
For some reason it’s interpreting my list of texts as just one text.
I checked my other workflows to see if the data is being stored correctly and it appears it is:
However, when I try to use it in a repeating group, it parses it like it’s just one text.
Hmm, if you’re using it in a repeating group, why a you referring an object outside of a current cell?
My take is that this may be related to the data structure\hierarchy, but it’s a wild guess as I can’t see.
Please double-check to see you’re not pulling wrong fields here inside your RG text - I see Lesson’s NEW EXPRESSIONS and simply EXPRESSIONS in your screenshots - that does not seem to be the same thing (unless you renamed them recently).
The reason I did that is I wanted to display two different views on the same page: one showing the lessons, the other showing the details of a lesson.
In the list of lessons view, I use a repeating group to show the lessons (this works fine):
When someone clicks the “See Notes” button, they go to do the Lesson Details view. The data of that specific lesson is saved in a Custom State called “Current Lesson”. Each Lesson object has a lists of texts called “New Expressions”
In any case, I tried doing this all in the same view without a Custom State and it still didn’t work.
The EXPRESSIONS you see is because app copies data from a database called Lesson Expressions and inputs it into New Expressions. This part works perfectly fine.
I think I might have found the issue.
When I was strong the data, I was using the “Add” method, not “Add List” or “Set List”
I’m going to have to gather some more test data to see if this was the issue.
The lesson here is little things can make a big difference.
Can you mark Dylans post as the solution. Saves us time opening topics.
This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.