Cumulative Chart of Users over time [Solved]

My goal was to create a line chart of users that shows the total number of users registered on each day. I found a sneaky workaround to make this work and it is simple!

Normally when you try to create an expression in the field “Value expression” it only let’s you start with “current point’s…”. However, if you create an expression in another element and then right click and copy the expression, you can past it into the “Value expression” input of the Line/BarChart.

I’ve attached some pictures of my final results

8 Likes

Thanks Devin, really useful :+1:

1 Like

Glad to help!

I should note that using this method has one flaw. If a user account is deleted you no longer have a record of their joining. Meaning this chart will only ever go up and will not show any loss of users over time.

Good for the ego, but not as useful as real logs.

Hi @devin.fraze

i’m trying to do something similar and having some trouble…

I’d like to make a graph of a user’s cumulative carbon offset over time in weekly summations - a calculated field that exists for each payment, within our payments table, so it’s equivalent in practice to finding their cumulative payments over time, just multiplied by some other factor.

I have a payments table (we call it a subscription table) with this info. Here’s what my database has saved, what my query is, and the blank output I’m getting:

(when I add a :sum aggregation here, it just makes everything break :man_shrugging:)

The output,

and what is saved in my database for this user, hence what I’m actually expecting…

Any ideas how to fix this?

Quick first thought:

• Your starting date is “Current User’s…”
  • It should be “first subscription for that user”, aka "search for subscriptions(sortby date, descending no)'s first item. That way you are starting graph at the position of the first subscription.
  • Also do your users make payments more than once a week? If not, it might be better not to group them and just show cumulative savings over time. Assuming they have some sort of regular subscription period the graph would still look fine.

@devin.fraze

Thank you for sharing it with us, but I am facing a small issue.
As for the Value Expression, I cannot do a search for a data type. It only allows me one option: current Point.

Therefore I am stuck right there and any help is really appreciated.

Thank You Very Much!

Please reread my first post

Normally when you try to create an expression in the field “Value expression” it only let’s you start with “current point’s…”. However, if you create an expression in another element and then right click and copy the expression, you can past it into the “Value expression” input of the Line/BarChart.

Thank you very much for your Answer!

I tried what you said and it worked!
However, I am facing another issue now: I cannot access the current Point when filtering the Expression Value.

I tried to copy the Current Point Expression and then paste it there, but it doesn’t work.

Thank you very much and I really appreciate your help.

Apparently, We can only access the Current Point Value when We Do a Search, so there is no way to access other data other than directly from the database.

Tried it and worked successfully ! Thanks for sharing this useful tip.

1 Like