Desperately need this functionality

I need the ability to create a “multi-repeating group”. Instead of just designing a single box to be repeated, I need one that allows for multiple boxes to be designed and then for it to repeat them in sequential order.

I need it to have the ability to allow me to do up to 15 and to have the ability to display a different data type in each box.

I’d even be willing to have each design in each box be identical, but with the ability to display different data types in each of them.

can anyone please help or can Bubble please create this functionality as a plugin?

You mean a repeating group inside a repeating group?

It is possible to merge a list of text that are uniqueids from the various sources, and then search for each one to determine if you want to show it or not.

It almost works but there is a bug that means displaying the data doesn’t work all that well.

The issue is that you can’t put a conditional on the field or group, because of the bug.

The way round it is to have a bunch of hidden repeating groups, with lists of uniqueids, and then you can merge THAT. A condition can then be created to determine if something is in a particular list.

Horrible, but it works.

Or badger Bubble to fix the bug that was reported in Dec 17.

1 Like

That’s pretty disheartening. This is something that my web app NEEDS. I’ve spent a decent amount of time working at finding a way to do this to no avail, so now I’m not sure what to do.

I see several ways of doing this as I have been doing similar things in the past.
You could do merged search for statements where you exclude them by type definition on a extra field on each one and using conditionals. Alternatively just use hidden groups in the inner repeating group.

Nigel mentioned some bugs but answer a few things and let`s see if we can help.

Can you share some more info about your data structure?

What is the common search operator for all of them?

Have you tried using repeating group state as a way to pass the data down?

Could you give us a shared bubble app example (with editor), with two example datatypes and some data. So we could prove this case.

Thanks for your willingness to assist me.

My data structure contains some 13-15 different “data types” all related, but different enough to require their own datatype.

So, my discrepancy is with the tab labeled “Type of content” when creating a repeating group because the type of content needs to be retrieved from over 10 data types.

The “Data Source” is used to do a search for those “types of content.” So that is limiting my capabilities to only being able to display only one “data type” per repeating group.

“Have you tried using repeating group state as a way to pass the data down?”…I don’t understand what you’re asking here?

I need a way to choose a different “Type of content” and “data source” for different boxes within a multi-repeating group.

I’ve also attempted Nigels approach with no luck.

I’m going to continue to work on the rest of my web app, in hopes that between now and it’s completion date a solution is devised. :: crossing fingers ::

We are working on a solution for a similar problem too. We need to combine multiple APIs into one repeating group so that we can display a list of inventory from each API call. The way we are doing it is to call our APIs from a Bubble workflow and send them to Blockspring where we are merging them by using custom code. We then get the data back to Bubble as this new unified data source and have to parse it with “join with” operators. This is working for us, but I think we need to iterate on it more. I really wish there were an easier solution without needing custom code and a third party tool.

That is a really interesting approach. I wonder if I email Bubble asking if they’ll be kind enough to create a solution if they will respond?

It seems to me, that it wouldn’t be too complicated for them to implement, since essentially it’s just adding a little more flexibility to a feature that already exists.

Here is an example of merging two different Data Types.

Not sure I would want to do it across 13-15 however.

The obvious answer (as gurun I think is moving towards) is combining the data types at some higher level, and then linking to the sub-data types.

What are you sorting this list on ? If it is something like “name” then that is your higher level.

2 Likes

I still think there may be a way to do this. If you can create a open bubble app example with some pseudo data it would enable us to help.

1 Like

Are the data-types always in the same order?
How many items do you need to load? 100 per?

Can you lazy load inside each group? (load only 100 items first then show a button to load more or next page)

Exactly, this is one approach. Alternatively I would have a repeating group with types (datatype for types), and then multiple hidden collapsed repeating groups inside the main RG.

In both cases how slow its going to be depends on number of items, combining would be slower indeed.

That depends on the sorting though, doesn’t it ?

If what you want to do is put the fish, the fruit, the cars and the dogs all in one group together, in a single RG then that is great.

But putting all that in alphabetical order … or any other order other than by “type” … is quite hard I think.

1 Like

I tried this and it’s not the solution. The reason being, is every one of the data types is radically different in some way.

So, the idea is to display the commonalities between them in a repeating group, but then allowing the user to click on a “view” button, which carries over the relevant information from that particular cell into the next page to provide more information.

So for example, lets say I have a site where you can sell dogs, cats, cars, houses and plants. Each one of these things has a “name”, “color/pattern”, “price” etc. which are common for all the products. However theres very important and very different information which will need to be seen by users/customers.

EXAMPLE WORKFLOW (highly simplified):

step 1: Allow user #1 to fill out a form to post their item on my site. (Gets stored in it’s corresponding data type)

step 2: Its posted to the products page showing all that is common among all the products, even though many other things about them are different (the information that’s different is stored on a different page)

step 3: Allow user #2 to click “view product”, which then takes them to the corresponding form which displays the information user #1 filled out when posting that product. (correct data type and correct data must be sent from that cell in the repeating group to its corresponding page)

I hope I’m making sense. It’s more then just whats displayed on this single repeating group, it’s also the ability to click on that item, to have that data sent to the corresponding display format.

I hope this will help you
https://bubble.io/page?type=page&name=multi-type_rg&id=buubleplayground&tab=tabs-1

Have you set states to “hold” your data? They are easily passed between pages. Doing that would allow you to show items conditionally on the user, product, and/or other variant / data type within the RG.

Similarly, you could set up a group for each product type within the product page. Only show that group if the product page is for a specific type. Within that group, place all of your RGs.

Based on your example, when a user clicks to view a specific product and is delivered to a product page, the product’s type would determine which group is shown to the user. If the page’s product type (which should be passed with the URL) is Plants, show the Plants group, which will have all the appropriate product details specific to Plants, and none of the unnecessary details.

Conditionally, you would determine what’s shown in the design editor.
When getInfoFromPageUrl' productType=Plants
show Group Plants

I’m not familiar with this concept. Can you please explain what you mean by "hold"ing my data?

Thanks for your attempt at assisting me…

A state is the bubble version of a variable. You can fill a state with search results at any point in the workflow, such as When page is loaded. Each state can be used as a data source if the datasource is a list.

With the RG set to text, you could call elements of the states based on the current cell of the RG.