Domain + sub domain best practices

I searched the forums but couldn’t find a clear answer…

I have my app now setup as app.domainname.com but now want to build the landing page(s) on Bubble too. Obviously, the domain needs to be www.domainname.com but I guess I cannot use both the subdomain and the top level domain for the same app.

What would you do?

Use the top level domain for the app as well as the landing page which means the app will basically be separate pages (there are quite a few) on the domain: www.domainname.com/admin www.domainname.com/dashboard then the /index will be the landing pages with some additional pages.

Create a new app for just the landing pages using www.domainname.com then link to the subdomain that has the app. I think this will be a little more difficult to implement as I need to connect both apps for login screens etc.

Something else?

1 Like

subtle bump

Anyone?

I’d really appreciate some input on this…

TBH I wasn’t quite sure what you were asking.

Your first suggestion is the easiest, and without some complex DNS redirects I don’t think you can mess with the rest.

1 Like

I’m guess what I’m asking is how others have setup their app and respective landing page(s)/websites domain wise.

I can set up a 301 but then the url path would end up in domainname.com/app (or /dashboard, /admin etc)

I like app.domainname.com better for the actual app, but the landing pages etc need to be on the top level domain. I also don’t think its a good idea to separate them in Bubble as separate apps.

I may need to add that a very big component of the app is a backend app that is not accessible to the public in any shape. However, we do have a public part that is exposed to everyone, that’s where the landing page is needed.

Keeping the app separate from the public stuff feels better to me (in terms of app pages etc, even though security is in place)

Not sure why I’m having so much issues with this…

Noone else has a problem with wanting the app on app.domainname.com and the website on domainname.com?

This can only be when both are on different bubble instances (given you want the website to be on Bubble too). In that case, what is easiest?

Connect the two apps and pass through the sign up process data (creating new user, new things etc) from the website with signup to the app.

Sign up links back to sign up form on the app domain, effectively redirecting visitors to the app domain for the registration process.

1 Like

Trying one more time.

With the new plans in effect it becomes a bit pointless to have a separate app just for the website/landing page of the app.

It just feels safe to have the public facing website (with extra traffic etc) on another app and domain away from the actual app.

Is this just in my head? How are you doing this?

I currently find myself in your exact situation. May I ask how you resolved this?

I decided in the end to go with wordpress. I was pretty reluctant to go the Wordpress route but a lot has changed since the last time I built something on it.

I used the Ocean theme and https://elementor.com/ to build the site. It could not have been easier. Above all the site is very fast and everything is free to make (even though I purchased the ‘pro’ version of elementor.

Now my app still sits on app.domain.com and the website on domain.com. My app landing page (signup page) is styled the same way as the website. Login and signup links go to app.domain.com.

6 Likes

Hey @vincent56

you mean your website domain.com is in bubble and app.domain.com in wordpress ?

If that is the case, can you please tell me how the signup logic works from wordpress to bubble ?

Its a shame you didn’t get much of a response to this when the question was originally asked. Perhaps I might have more luck now…?

I too would like domain.com and app.domain.com all to be within one bubble app.

Is it possible to have one app page pointing to a domain and another page (essentially the rest of the app) pointing to a sub domain?

Worst case I can continue to use wordpress for the landing page and direct them to app.domain.com in bubble but using just bubble would have been preferred.

2 Likes

Hi @AlexKehoe

Was wondering whether you had a luck with this query?

I am also in a similar space, and have 3 areas I was looking to use bubble:

1. main website (www.BUSINESS_NAME.com
  2. support centre (support.BUSINESS_NAME.com)
  3. main bubble application (app.BUSINESS_NAME.com)

I’m wondering there’s anyway that I could use just 1 bubble application to achieve all of the above, or whether I need to in essence pay for 3 separate bubble plans if I want to use bubble for all of these items.

Many thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @darius, unfortunately not. Although I still would really like this capability. Perhaps there is a technical reason why it’s not possible yet but I hope bubble add this feature in the future and don’t ask us to pay for two separate apps of what is all the same website.

heh… i thought as long as we use the same backend … we can point any number of domains and subdomains to the same app and it will be considered one plan.

Just like we have many mobile apps for different user groups and so on…

Is my understanding wrong?

If you guys have a paid plan (i infer that because of the custom domain) why not to ask that question to support ?