Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

End user configuration of CSV Import / variable schema

Not sure if the following is possible with Bubble. Say, 2 different users have different csv’s they need to upload for my application. I don’t know in advance what the names of those columns are or how many columns each CSV contains. Every user in my system will import some csv file.

The destination ‘table’ really isn’t a fixed schema as different users care about different columns of information from the CSV. Is there a way for the application to use a file store vs. a database to accommodate flexibility in storing different schemas ?

Can the import be configured to happen with a custom form that iterates over each column and lets the end user decide what to do with that column (drop down selection in parenthesis)
Column A (Omit)
Column B (Display)
Column C (Generate Scores) - do different things in the application using the values of this column. Ex. Feed an additional reference table as well as the primary table)

Thank you !

I am myself new to bubble.

However a common sense solution will be:

1. Break this problem into smaller manageable parts and then do each part step by step.

2. Do not try to do multiple things in one single step.

So for example, you seem to be thinking right with column A and B.

Column A (Omit)
Column B (Display)
Column C (Generate Scores) - do different things in the application using the values of this column.
… Saving in multiple tables…

<<<<<<<<<

In other words, for column A and B should be:. “Save” or “Not Save / Skip or omit”.

Column C should be simplified and first saved.

Later in subsequent step, one can move the data to other tables.

In other words… I will first save the csv files into replica tables. Replica means exact copies of the data source csv files.

After these are all imported and stored in the database…
Only then subsequent operations be applied in subsequent steps.

Multiple users want to import their own respective CSV files:

If you have some samples, it will help in understanding.

I am assuming that more or less… Each of the csv file needs to be saved to the same master table.

While there may be minor differences in column names… Nevertheless they all mean the same and needs to be saved in the same column / table.

So for example… One of the users csv file has a column name:. “First_Name”.

Another user csv file has a column name: “FName”.

Another user’s CSV file has a column name:. “first name”.

Hence you like all of these three users to save each of these columns in their respective CSV files into your database table with a column name:. “First Name”.

Is my understanding correct?

If you have some samples, it will help in understanding.

Please see if you can share your thoughts.