ERROR 524 - web server timed out

If you’re the owner of this website:
The connection to the origin web server was made, but the origin web server timed out before responding. The likely cause is an overloaded background task, database or application, stressing the resources on your web server. To resolve, please work with your hosting provider or web development team to free up resources for your database or overloaded application.

Anyone else get this?

1 Like

Hi @Robert

I’m receiving the 524 error on a daily basis. Also seeing a general slowdown / sluggish response when logging into the apps or going between pages. I’ll create a bug report.

1 Like

Yes, I’m seeing a big slow down when trying to navigate between some pages, and jump into pages of an app (Incognito or normal). I’ve seen this now on 3 different apps of mine. It just hangs there…

Anyone else?

1 Like

thanks for letting us know. I’m seeing this accross all my apps as well. Either very sluggish page loads (>30 or 40 seconds) or hitting 524 errors. I filed a bug report under #10514. @david17 and @robert, I recommend that you both file a bug report and reference mine.

I’ve filed a number of bug reports. They said it was my machine only. I feel like I’ve needed to prove this case that it isn’t just me.

@DavidS @emmanuel @allenyang @josh

The problem hasn’t happened in the past few days, and Bubble support was not able to reproduce the issue. So, there isn’t much more I can do.

Yes, it is slow. I haven’t set up Cloudflare, as I’m still in development only mode.

Bubble support confirmed they’re trying to figure it out. They’re monitoring my apps and when it happens, I’ll report the time.

I noticed it started in July 22nd and I’ve been receiving 524 cloudflare errors up to yesterday.

I am also experiencing this issue. I have had it happen on dev and prod, on my mac and multiple pc’s, as well as on 4 different browsers. My client has also experienced this issue as well as a general slowdown. It does seem to happen more on dev than prod, but it is very frustrating. Any help would be much appreciated, @robert thanks for making the thread!

1 Like

I heard from @josh earlier today - there should be a fix out that may help some of these issues with the rebuilding of assets on the fly. This should lead to some improvements. Hopefully, Josh will talk about it in more detail in the community updates.

3 Likes

Any idea when this fix will be out, @david17? I got the 524 error again just now.

Hey Robert -
What Josh told me was that once you rebuild assets then it shouldn’t need to rebuild again. But if it never can properly get built, I wonder if it’s perpetually in this state. Is this a data intensive app?

It is an element intensive app. data moderate.

What do you mean by rebuilding the assets?

When was the last time you got it to load? Does it fail every time after you edit it?

It fails when I go to another page.

That other page you’re navigating to, have you ever seen it load?

Yes, it loaded when I refreshed it.

From what I understand of what’s happening under the hood, when you make a change to your app, Bubble will reanalyze all of the elements on that page to figure out how to render it on your screen from the instructions you’ve provided in the editor. Every time you make a change, it runs this process over again when you try navigate to that page for the first time since the edit.

Seems like because of the number of elements on the page, this is taking more than a minute and times out (but Bubble keeps working on their side). So, next time you refresh, it has rebuilt the assets and can serve them fast enough for Cloudflare. This shouldn’t keep happening unless you keep editing and updating the page.

Does it go away on the 3rd 4th or 5th refresh?