Features of Bubble.is

Hello-

I came across Bubble.is and I’m interested in using it as a
replacement for wordpress. I just have some questions that I was hoping
you could provide information on before I decide on making a purchase.

Does Bubble own the code and content?

Can I remove all Bubble.is branding from my website?

Can I export the site if I decide I need a separate platform/developer to take the site over?

I already own my domain and pay for hosting through Bluehost. Can I
use my domain with Bubble.is and can I use my hosting plan with
Bubble.is or does Bubble.is already provide it’s own hosting plan? If
so, what is this hosting plan like?

What does Bubble.is provide that Webflow.com does not provide? Can I not build a web app with Webflow.com?

Thanks.

Can I remove all Bubble.is branding from my website?

• Yes.

Can I export the site if I decide I need a separate platform/developer to take the site over?

• Not currently.

I already own my domain and pay for hosting through Bluehost. Can I use my domain with Bubble.is and can I use my hosting plan with Bubble.is or does Bubble.is already provide it’s own hosting plan? If so, what is this hosting plan like?

• You can use your own domain. Bubble hosts (for the most part).

What does Bubble.is provide that Webflow.com does not provide? Can I not build a web app with Webflow.com?

• I guess there is overlap here. There are probably some apps that would be easier to build in Webflow, indeed there are some sites that would be easier to build in Weebly, and would look better quicker. Bubble has backend (database and workflow logic) too, as well as the ability to connect to other APIs and Databases. Plugins like Google Places, Ziggeo for video upload. More complex Apps may not be possible to build in Webflow at all. But similarly there are things that Bubble can’t do right now, and you would need to move over to something like Appery to allow you to use custom JS.
4 Likes

Hello-

Thanks for the information. It is much appreciated.

I’m somewhat new to web design so some of my questions might be very
basic. I’m just trying to do some research before I make any purchases
for designing a website.

Is the website I build using Bubble.is a CMS Website?

I’m confused on the platform terms “Web App Designer” and “Website Designer”. Webflow told me they are not a web app designer, they are only a website designer. Can you explain the difference? Does this mean you can’t build a website like Airbnb using a website designer?

This question might be related to the previous question. There was a recent article on Product Hunt (https://www.producthunt.com/tech/codefreebnb) in which they show you can build a replica Airbnb site using Bubble.is, Blockspring, and Zapier. Does this replica site fully function the same as Airbnb (i.e. users can create a profile to find and list a home for rent, users can add comments on previous stays, and the website can handle financial transactions of bookings)? If so, I’m trying to understand if Webflow can’t do this and why it can’t do that.

I can talk a bit to this. Webflow is generating static content, meaning things that only change when the creator of the site tells it to. Things like a company web page something similar, where the user isn’t really interacting or creating stuff. This is a website, similar to Kotaku.com or thoughtbot.com

Bubble, on the other hand, is creating a full-blown application, where the user can interact, create, update, and modify things inside the site. This would be a web app, similar to AirBnB, or Evernote.

In general, if you can login and have a section where you have “your stuff,” it would be considered a web app, and Webflow can’t build those. Hope this is helpful!

4 Likes

Hello-

Thanks for the information. It is much appreciated. This is definitely helpful to understanding it.

What I still can’t quite understand is that Webflow offers hosting plans for Basic Hosting and CMS Hosting. They describe Basic Hosting as a static site on a custom domain without CMS features. They describe CMS Hosting as having CMS features that allows you to design with dynamic content. What are the differences between Basic Hosting and CMS Hosting? What does CMS Hosting offer that Basic Hosting doesn’t offer?

CMS means you’re pushing your own content, as the website owner. So when they say CMS hosting, that means you’ll be able to modify the text of your site (hence ‘dynamic’). This doesn’t let your users define the content of your site, like you would do on Facebook or Medium. If a website lets you do this, that’s a web app, and that’s what Bubble lets you build.

3 Likes

hello bubble which password encrypting algorithm does bubble default case use

Interesting to read that ‘currently’ bubble doesn’t support export. Will that be the case in the future? Would be a great feature for some developers.

Yeah its definitely something that is brought up a lot and requested by the community. With that said, there is nothing on Bubble’s roadmap in the way off an export feature for offsite hosting and I imagine if something is in the pipeline, its probably a few years out…

1 Like