Handling dynamic page names

Is there a way I can create dynamic page names? I’m creating a clone of Paypal.me where users can have their own page name.

Example paypal.me/rico

Would appreciate some insights on what ways this can be achieved.

Maybe something for @bubble to look at.

@neerja

I did this in my app by letting users create a database entry named ‘appname’. I made sure to check that this entry did not exist already by doing a search with this input and used ‘lowercase’ (because search is case sensitive).

On page load I do a search for ‘apps’ and I search for ‘get path from page url (lowercase)’ -> ‘first item’ and set the datasource for the page for this found ‘app’. (when search is 0 I display an error).

Your url will look like: app.com/page/somename

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the explanation. I want to avoid the additional /page.

I think this should be possible but I just can’t visualize it.

You can avoid that page by making the /page your index page

I actually have a web app with multiple pages. I want users to claim their own page. And then have a dynamic page name to display the content.

I’m not sure if I understand what you just said.

Ah I get what you mean, I am not sure how to do that exactly. My way isn’t the best if you have multiple pages. Let me know if you find a solution in the future.

1 Like

Hi,

the closest I can think of accomplishing this, is the following way:

1. Have a group called user on index page
  2. Show this group only if “get data from URL” :user is not empty
  3. Data source of this group do a search for users with username= “get data from URL”
  4. Require unique usernames (e.g. as Thimo outlined checking for doubles)
  5. Whenever a user profile is clicked use the action Go to page index , check the box: send additional data/more parameters; user=parent group’s user username

The URL will be something like www.yourdomain.com/?user=john1533
you could make it id= or profile= too.

hope this helps. happy bubbling,
Julius

1 Like

Yes the traditional way would work for this but I can see my database getting big already. This isn’t managable on a long run.

Thanks for the input.

Looking for a solution to this as well. Keep us posted if you find anything. :slight_smile:

Hi could you please provide screenshots for this?

You CANNOT do what OP describes in Bubble due to how Bubble interprets paths.

(You can’t have myapp.com/handle — because that would be the app page called “handle” with no arguments, right?)

But as others point out, you can have /something/handle.

I’ve described all of this in great detail and built the canonical demo app for it so that no one need ask this again, but I guess perhaps it can’t be found anymore.

Go here:

1 Like

Thank you will check it out