Hobby-Plan Auto-Downgrade (Again)

Hi all,

Today our Hobby Legacy plan was downgraded to the new Free plan automatically. This happened before in February of last year (Auto hobby-plan downgrade) and was a bug at the time, as they had said they weren’t changing Legacy plans (Changes to our free plan - #23 by B4B).

Is anyone else having this issue?

4 Likes

Every single one of my applications which were hobby auto-downgraded too, and are now unaccessable. This BETTER be a bug!

2 Likes

Doesn’t seem to be a bug.

1 Like

That is totally ridiculous. The announcement back in 2022 said Hobby plans will not be impacted until Oct 1, 2024.

5 Likes

@emmanuel @josh
This need to be addressed right now. Everyone expect to stay on their old plan for next 17 months. This is what you promise.

6 Likes

Will add a few team member…
@sam.morgan @grace.hong @henry.dowling @nick.carroll @vivienne

3 Likes

Don’t hesitate everyone to contact support

Hi all - thank you for bringing this to our attention. The change from Hobby (free) to the Free plan was communicated by email a few weeks ago. It sounds like some of you may not have gotten the email. If you are hitting issues with a former hobby app, please reach out to our support team to help explore options.

Probably I was wrong, but thinking that we have 18 month to move away… not 2 weeks

3 Likes

So you are just choosing to not honor the announcement made last year? That’s pretty screwed up and very deceiving…

Every app created after the launch of bubble has been downgraded to free plan (200 things) by deleting the live version. In simple means, App’s wont work, including demo apps, plugin apps, lot of things will break in the eco system. Time to learn how to code using GPT and stop investing time on No code solutions, Waste of 4+ years on learning & developing bubble apps.

3 Likes

I’m confused, you benefited from Bubble’s free plans for years and you call it a waste of time?

If I had customers/clients like you I’ll be more than happy to let you go.

6 Likes

I had a similar initial reaction as you, @kheimstead982, but I decided to go back to the announcement from Emmanuel in 2022 regarding the Hobby plan becoming legacy. In that thread, I didn’t see any commitment about keeping Hobby until a certain date.

I also did a little checking and found the recent pricing announcement mentions that plans can be kept until 2024 with a 10% price increase. Additionally, I saw either Josh or Emmanuel clarified this was regarding paying plans (since 10% of 0 for Hobby is 0).

To be fair to Bubble, they did communicate out about this change. And, unless someone can find a post where they committed to keeping Hobby until a set date, they aren’t breaking their commitments.

3 Likes

@emmanuel No response on this?

This one threw me for a loop.
I have several apps that I’m paying for and I think it’s fair to do so but I was, and it seems a few others along with me, under the impression that october 1st 2024 was the target date when our old legacy hobby plans would go away.

My mitigation plan was made under that 2024 assumption and involved migrating to a central app on the new personal plan as these hobby apps I’ve built have really low usage.
Migrating stuff (UI designs, workflows, data types & data) takes a lot of time and effort if you want to get things right and it would be great to have a reasonable amount of time to do so.

indeed in 2022 it was confirmed new free plans would be changed not old ones

and also it was said that people would stay on their old plans for 18 months

so it looks like a mistake has been made?

1 Like

A lot of free apps that was for showing plugins doesn’t work anymore. Funny!

3 Likes

@carly

The change from Hobby (free) to the Free plan was communicated by email a few weeks ago.

I am the owner or admin of at least 3 hobby-plan apps, and I never received any emails about this. Based on the emails from my clients who own hobby plan apps I am now getting, they didn’t receive any emails either. Furthermore, a few weeks is not nearly enough warning to migrate from a plan with a legacy featureset which doesn’t neatly match any current plans, especially given the workload to capacity changes.

If you are hitting issues with a former hobby app, please reach out to our support team to help explore options.

I reached out to the support team before I even made this post, but your team released this update on a FRIDAY, which means that app had issues across the weekend due to limited weekend support hours. We were forced to temporarily upgrade to prevent a 3-day app shutdown, and as of now I haven’t heard anything past “we are investigating”.

@eLPDev

I decided to go back to the announcement from Emmanuel in 2022 regarding the Hobby plan becoming legacy. In that thread, I didn’t see any commitment about keeping Hobby until a certain date.

I’m not sure why the forum thread shows as 2022. The post says 2021, and the email I received linking to the forum post was sent in 2021. The other post I linked from February 2022 mentions that Hobby plans were canceled “a year ago”. The fact that the date on the forum says 2022 makes me question the integrity of the post, or makes me think there was an older post that has since been deleted. The link in the email is to a temporary redirect which could easily have been pointed to a newer post.

Regardless, here are some quotes from that post:

apps that are currently on the Hobby plan are not impacted.

To be clear, as mentioned above, apps that are currently on the now-legacy Hobby plan will keep their feature set, so things won’t break suddenly for your apps.

Furthermore, here is a screenshot from an email I received on February 26, 2021.

Again, its impossible to verify what the original post linked said since it seems to have been replaced by a thread from 2022, but here is a quote which might hint at it:

These changes only affect new apps created going forward as of today, February 26, 2021; all apps that are currently on the Hobby plan will NOT be impacted.

The above at the very least indicates that those on the hobby plan would be given proper warning and ample time to adjust, which as mentioned above, we were not. As a result, this has been a mess.

The proper thing for bubble to do would be to revert this change and refund anyone who had to upgrade to maintain their apps. Then if they want to move forward with this change, make a forum post + email every app owner/admin/agency, and give us a few months to adjust.

4 Likes

No one will be happy, if the platform provider deleted your live demo apps (Which brought the fully paid app customers or converted into fully paid apps) overnight, By sending an email (Unclear mails) saying you got more than 200things (its fine, as its demo data) but deleting live link has an impact, as it got shares. Bubble as a platform need to be reliable for everyones to build, and its not a platform says “Only no coder’s are welcomed, who got $29 on hand” :). 4+ years of learning has converted many free apps to paid apps (atleast for 5+ different accounts with multiple paying apps & some mobile apps), I think its better to migrate to a code base and convert all the paying apps to code over the time and save the future. Since other coders started search for another platform or crowdfund another bubble on opensource, its not late to join the club. Price hike is welcomed if its reasonable, but overnight app deletion is not welcomed. Or bubble should have provided an opportunity to convert hobby app to smaller paying app with live version.

Same, I have one Hobby plan app, didn’t receive any emails.

2 Likes