Hobby-Plan Auto-Downgrade (Again)

Unfortunately it is very unlikely anything is going to be done about this. Pretty sad really, but what can you do.

It’s October 1, 2024 somewhere.

And the fact that bubble staff are replying to other threads, but specifically deciding not to reply or care about this one shows they could care less, its all about the $$$!

For what it’s worth, a Bubble staff member has replied in this thread. Whether or not folks like the reply or will do what was suggested is a different story, but they did reply.

2 Likes

Except no email was ever sent. And for many people including myself this is very abrupt. Plus that person doesn’t have any official tags, could be a generic user for all we know.

1 Like

I’m telling you that person is not a generic user, but you don’t have to believe me if you don’t want to.

1 Like

Again, IGNORING the fact that people did NOT get the “email” that was sent out (which goes against the announcement in 2022). Really no response on this?

1 Like

Thanks for providing the links, @TipLister.

As far as the Hobby plan goes, the 18 month commitment in this post specifies paid plans, so that wouldn’t give a timeline for any Hobby plans being supported for that same length of time.

@TipLister and @austin3,

Regarding the previous announcement about the Free plan, that doesn’t directly apply since all of that communication had to do with Bubble’s previous plan change and (since-abandoned) pricing change. Granted, the recent WU plan is a reimplementation of the failed pricing from before, but they are still two different events and communiques.

Email announcement regarding Hobby plans ending aside, I went back and reread some of the posts regarding the change dates, and the only promise of being able to keep old plans has to do with paid plans. Which means losing Hobby plans was implied.

I say all of this because this, at least, gave me a little peace of mind as my first reaction was that Bubble had deceived users, but that isn’t the case.

With all of that said, I totally sympathize with you on this as I got the email on 4/22 and the change looks to have gone on 5/19. Given how many plugins use what I only assume are Hobby plan apps to give instructions, this alone is cause for more notice. Doing that right before the weekend was also not the best idea.

I have yet to find that Bubble communicated this anywhere other than email; if they had OR had the emails gone out with more than only a month to prepare, that’d be a different story.

1 Like

I’m not ignoring anything, @kheimstead982, and I don’t work for Bubble. You said they are replying to other threads and not caring about this one, and I simply pointed out that you are not correct, and a Bubble representative has asked folks to reach out them about this topic.

1 Like

I am NOT angered by the fact that plans are changing, I understand bubble has to make money. But miscommunication is NOT the way to go about it. Had there actually been an announcement or email explicitly stating that legacy hobby plans would be converted, it would have been fine.

Again, just to be clear, I don’t work for Bubble.

I understand the frustration here… I really do. I’m just saying that if folks reach out to Bubble support, I really think (and certainly hope) they will work with you.

4 Likes

Not to beat this to death as I posted a similar message on this above, but I think it’s important for everyone to keep in mind that the recent change from Hobby to Free doesn’t go against the 2022 announcement referenced. That had to do with the changes that went into effect back then. That doesn’t apply to the WU announcement.

Additionally, I think a Bubble announcement in the forum would have been a nice-to-have and would have been wise (not saying they didn’t, as I could have missed it) especially in light of the issues others have reported about not getting an email.

At the same time, emailing a customer is common practice, and we know Bubble did send something out about a month before the change. Now, what caused some users like you to not get the emails? That’s a different question, but from what others in the community have shared, we do at least know Bubble tried to communicate about this.

Thoughts on whether they should have given more than a month’s warning and posted about it aside, the fact is Bubble did do some due diligence on this.

2 Likes

The use of SendGrid :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Ha! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

We contacted support last week by email. They said “We’ll get back to you with updates as soon as possible.”

Support responded. It looks like they are not going to do anything to fix this, except to give a short free period on the Starter plan since they failed to communicate this change ahead of time.

1 Like

I got a similar response, except they didn’t own up to failing to communicate, they told me I missed the emails.

Can someone post the email here? I didn’t get it either.

@jobs, here’s the email I received back in April; I removed any links, but otherwise this is the email as received on 4/22:

Hi there,

For more than a decade, Bubble has provided founders and agencies with the tools they need to build and launch their businesses. It’s our responsibility to make sure we can support those businesses for years to come.

With that in mind, we recently announced upcoming changes to our plans and pricing, which you can read about in full here (LINK REMOVED).

We’re reaching out to you because one of your apps is currently on the Hobby plan, which will be deprecated on May 1, 2023. You have the option to either:

A. Switch to an existing pricing plan (LINK REMOVED) of your choice. You can do this from within your app’s settings any time before May 1.

B Take no action and be automatically switched over to our existing Free plan (LINK REMOVED) on May 1. Important: The Free plan does not include access to a live version of your app.

You will be able to remain on your chosen legacy plan until October 1, 2024. At that point, all apps will need to switch to one of our new pricing plans (LINK REMOVED) (which include a more generous Free plan).

As a full-stack platform, we understand that many of our customers depend on Bubble to run their businesses. We take pride in delivering the most robust, full-stack no-code platform on the market, and we’re grateful that you chose Bubble as a partner as you innovate and grow. If you have any questions about these changes, you can visit our FAQs (LINK REMOVED), reach out to our support team at support@bubble.io, or reply to this email. We’re always here to help.

Thank you for being such an early member of the Bubble community. We’re grateful for your long-term partnership and that you’re trusting us to grow with you.

— Emmanuel, Josh, and the Bubble team

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. Clearly someone screwed up - I’ve scoured my inbox, no trace of that email or anything like it. I did receive an email in April saying the Agency plans had increased in price, so clearly I’m getting bubble emails, they just didn’t send that one. Why was this not put on a forum or blog post as well?

Also on an unrelated note: If you received the email on April 22 and the deprecation date is May 1, that’s 9 days of notice. Granted, the actual change was closer to a month, but still.

1 Like