Internet of things with bubble.io

I’ve been testing the bubble over two years to see if it can be an incredible solution in iOT. Today I think I managed to take a step forward using a raspberry pi with node-red sending the data into the bubble.is

To archive this, I’ve created a workflow running every second by querying an external database.

I’m afraid it might compromise application performance if you have about 10 at the same time

any different ideas?

Video

6 Likes

Why don’t you create an API endpoint in your Bubble app that can be called by the RPi with a post request?

2 Likes

Hi @JonL , its my next step :wink: i dont have any experience with API, im searching arround how to archive that

I believe that’s the best way to move forward. Querying every second is over kill. There is plenty of material around related to setting an API endpoint and you can always ask around the forum.

Good luck!

1 Like

Hi
The same idea here, do you find something relevant in tutorials?

That’s badass @josemansilva! What’s your long term goal with connecting bubble w/ raspberry pi?

Would love to stay tuned to your progress and see more in-depth info on how your system works!

@arensbpa My long term goal is to know we can manage a whole production line using bubble as Project management, mqtt server and dashboard maker in real time. And its very doable but the mqtt thing i didn’t discover yet

1 Like

I am new to bubble.io but quite experience with node-red, do they work well together? Anything you can share if bubble.io and node-red get marry?

Algum progresso em relação a essa questão?

Well this is interesting. I’m kind of new to Bubble but I love Node Red. Let me know of any progress on this topic or if anyone wants to collaborate on this.

Hello @JonL, I also need to integrate AWS IoT with my Bubble database, is there a tutorial or video on how to do this?

Was anyone able to resolve this?

Hi @rfuentesd
What are you working on? I’ve been meaning to get back to this topic, for me is about bridging bubble and node-red such that node-red can handle flows from Iot devices via MQTT then send them over to bubble. Certainly there are different variations on this theme but there seems a few folks are working on it or interested in it. Perhaps some of us can collaborate on a solution?

Hi @JonL did you make any progress connecting via API? If you have seen any success, can you please suggest how you did that?
I tried pining the node via workflow which works but the bubble get navigated to the nodered url.
Any small hint or direction would be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Hi @blueoceans2002 I need to figure this out as well.
How are you approaching this architecturally? Are you using Node-Red for IoT devices?
I’m thinking
IoT device < > Node-Red using MQTT aedes mqtt broker in Node-Red
Node-Red < > Bubble using HTTP API endpoints
API endpoint in Node-Red something like this
https://medium.com/@ankur.kus1/build-rest-api-using-flow-based-programming-node-red-4ed343228ba

What is the architecture you are using?

If you’re raspberryPi, you can create a simple python script that reads data from the sensor, then send it via REST call to Bubble. You simply enable the Bubble DB API. Make sure to send only information relevant to the process. For example, on machine temperature monitoring, you don’t want to store all the readings, send only to Bubble the series that passes a threshold. You can implement that logic easily in your python script. You can also secure the API endpoints. Sometimes the simplest solution is the better. Don’t need to complicate things on this. Here’s a simple script I created to read temperature from a TMP36 sensor from adafruit TMP36 - Analog Temperature sensor [TMP36] : ID 165 : $2.75 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits : jdebarizon · GitHub

Enjoy!

Hi @larryreader I am looking at approaching the solution for both IOT and non IOT. From Architectural workflow point of view there are two methods I have identified

1. Trigger nodered via postgres using triggers- when table value changes, postgrs will trigger a notification to Node red to run the flow. The postgres nodes are pretty outdated and for some reason (still troubleshooting) I am unable noftify nodered. Architecturally bubble updates postgres table value which in turn triggers nodered.
  2. Direct trigger from bubble using http plugin. I am yet to try this

If you by chance crack with any of these methods, please keep me posted too. And I will also keep you posted on how that goes.

Hello,

Just an idea: Why not send RPi data to a SQL database (Even google sheets) and then just use Bubble API to access that database? I can imagine using an automation service like zappier to send data to bubble every time new data is received if you want real time update on bubble.

Another way: I know of someone using InfluxDB to store Iot Data and then pulling that info from Bubble using Bubble API.

Hi @jaimeisaac,
Yea working the communications through a third party database certainly makes sense for many use cases. Lots of variation here. Like are the IoT devices actually high bandwidth or something like LoRaWAN and battery powered. Do they WiFi to the internet without a gateway and use MQTT or do they have a full local linux stack like on an rPi and the power for HTTP? Perhaps there seems to be little discussion on this topic because there are so many parts possible so it is just to vague to engage with in general?

I agree. IoT ecosystems now is very vast and enormous. The number of technologies in all tech stack are overwhelming just like most of the internet technology now. Ive heard from some Iot experts they are experimenting with bubble to create Iot dashboards and platforms and to do so they rely on third party databases optimized for Iot (time series databases, ive heard of influx,mongo,crate) and then just pull the data with API.

As an electronics engineer Ive been testing Iot cloud plarforms and think would be a cool side project to try and use bubble to replicate this. Relying in third party databse and node red would take out much of the complexity of doing all of this insisde bubble.