Manually uploading data and assigning it to specific users?

In the Data tab, under App Data, I can create new entries manually. I was trying to create a new entry for one of my categories, which I did, but I wasn’t able to assign it to a user? Right now, my Users are fake accounts for me to test, but how do I manually upload data to the database and assign it to specific users?

have you had a look at it ?

Hi @NicolasDap, I looked at what you suggested and it doesn’t answer my question. I want to know how to add data to a specific user. When I go into “Data”, “Data Types”, I have two types: Destination and User. I then click the App Data tab and New Entry. A pop up opens up and I choose to create a new “Destination”. The pop up changes with all the fields that need to be filled out. One of those fields is “Creator”. At this point, to me it would make sense if there was a drop down with all the possible Users to choose from to be the creator. I tried putting in the email address of the User I wanted to “own” this new entry, but when I clicked “create” it removed the users email address and just left it blank - creating a new destination with no creator. I want to know why that happened and how I can manually create new Destinations and assign them to Users of my choosing?

A couple of possibles…

1. Create a simple data entry form on an admin page, that way you get a creator added (and you can do all the links and make it quicker with drop down etcs).

2. Enter the data into one table, and then have an admin button that just creates rows based on your input table.

Hello @NigelG

A few questions.

1. Is an admin page a page that already exists, or do I have to build that page? And if so, how do I make it an admin page?

2. I’m building an app, not a website, so would the admin page be different? As in, should it be a group in my app instead of a page?

3. Is there any documentation or examples of admin pages and how to build them?

4. It’s still not clear to me why when I add an entry to my database on the the data tab, I can’t assign it to a user? After all, aren’t I the administrator?

5. How do you create an admin button?

The admin page would just be a new page you would create that is restricted to certain users, probably defined by the roles you set for them. Since it is just another page, you are free to design the admin panel how ever you’d like; thus displaying all the relevant data to the admin.

1. Is an admin page a page that already exists, or do I have to build that page? And if so, how do I make it an admin page?

I think there used to be an admin page that already existed, but you can just create one, and call it “admin”. They only thing that makes it special is that it will be restricted to only your email address.

1. I’m building an app, not a website, so would the admin page be different? As in, should it be a group in my app instead of a page?

It may just be easier to have a separate web page for admin, so not part of your app.

1. Is there any documentation or examples of admin pages and how to build them?

They function just like any other page (except they don’t need to be as pretty).

1. It’s still not clear to me why when I add an entry to my database on the the data tab, I can’t assign it to a user? After all, aren’t I the administrator?

I have no idea, you could ask @emmanuel

1. How do you create an admin button?

it is just a button on your admin page that does some data workflow. I have several that usually fix stuff (so I have added a new column and want it all populated with “No” or something).

Here is mine at the moment, I actually tidied it up recently too :smile:

3 Likes

@NigelG I solved this issue by changing the search field for the creator. In my case, by changing the search field to “handle”, it allows me to type in the handle of the user I want to manually add data to. Not sure why it wasn’t working the way it was before, but I just wanted to let everyone know that it can work.

Thanks

2 Likes