Monthly Community Update -- February 2024

Hi all,

Congratulations on making it through (what always feels like) the longest month of the year. This is our February community update — you can read last month’s update here.

A high point of January was publishing our updated No-Code Manifesto. It’s easy to get lost in the day-to-day of Bubble as it currently exists and too comfortable with the way “no-code” is understood in the industry today. Updating this manifesto was a way to remind ourselves and all of you of what we’re working toward — the true north for all the product development and company-building work we do. We appreciate everyone who has shared and commented on it!

Finally, before I dive in, friendly reminder to update your third-party plugins by March 12, 2024 — we’ve started sending out email reminders to those affected. After that date, we’re going to start phasing out deprecated plugins to help minimize the impact on user apps as they lose functionality. If you don’t update, your app’s functionality may change or break.

Changes we made this month

You’ve been waiting patiently since we announced this feature at BubbleCon last fall: Yesterday, we launched the ability to return data from custom events! This gives Bubble’s custom events and workflows even more parity with traditional programming functions. Read more about it here, and check out a walk-through of the functionality here.

We also rolled out a new element styles tab, which has a cleaner UI and new functionality designed to make viewing, adding, editing, and managing your element styles smoother. For example, styles are now grouped by element type, and you can edit style names more quickly.

We shipped a new app plan page to help you better manage your subscriptions all in one place. Now you can see your workload consumption, add storage, manage your plugins, and more right from that page. We’ll even tell you the best way to pay for workload based on your app’s consumption.

As a part of our broader goal of improving observability and bulk operations, we made enhancements to the server logs for actions on a list of things. The logs now provide key insights that can help you understand what’s going on and troubleshoot issues, like the number of items in the list to run on or the criteria used to generate the list, including the evaluated values of any dynamic expressions used in the constraints.

We also launched the official certification directory! Bubble-Certified Developers can opt in to be listed here. (If you work at an agency, your agency will be listed and linked.) Freelancers, if you want your certification listing to link to an official profile on the Bubble agency directory to make it easier for others to hire you, double check that you’re on an Agency plan.

And a few smaller updates: First, the Table element got two new features. Now you can reference the table’s “is loading state” and the table’s “list of things” in dynamic expressions. And second, we added new DDoS protections designed to improve the resilience of individual apps to DDoS attacks.

Finally, we’re still committed to reinforcing Bubble’s technical foundation, and the team worked hard in January to resolve some operational rough patches, most tied to increased usage of the platform (a good problem to have, but still challenging). For example:

• We executed a time-sensitive overhaul to the way we manage data triggers. They used to share a scheduling system with bubble.io’s scheduled tasks, but an increase in volume started to overwhelm it, which caused a ripple effect of operational delays and issues. We’ve moved data triggers to a separate, more scalable system.

• We made changes and performance improvements that resolved a spike in crash rates on several databases that store main cluster applications, which were also caused by an increase in usage. We’re investigating any crashes that remain.

• We’re improving memory management to help Dedicated customers’ servers keep from running low on memory, which requires us to manually intervene.

What we’re working on

• Mobile: We’ve finished work that will allow native mobile apps to live side-by-side with web apps in the same project. Next, we’re working on automated testing and mobile components (like an improved button element and a top bar). We’ll be reaching out to our mobile waitlist for feedback in the coming months — if you’re interested, please join it!

• Making the editor easier to use: Next up to refresh is the elements tree! The team is excited to clean up the UI and add new functionality to make it easier to navigate layers and manage elements.

• Revamping the RFP system: We’re refining our matching system based on your feedback to improve the match rate between users and freelancers/agencies. This is coming soon!

• Updates to the marketplace: We’re rolling out a better template marketplace filtering system that lets you sort by more options like highest rated, price, and more. We’re also creating new categories based on the most popular search categories, like AI and SaaS. (FYI, once we make these changes, we’ll no longer be recommending templates that use our old responsive system. Template creators can update them to our new responsive system and resubmit to be listed again.)

• Improving observability: The team who just launched improved logs for actions on a list will be working on “schedule a workflow on a list of things” next.

• AI: We’re working diligently on implementation. Next month, we’re planning to conduct another round of usability testing, which is an important milestone toward launch.

• App plan comparison page: We’re making it easier to understand the key differences between our paid plans to help folks find the right subscription for their apps.

• Updating the Stripe plugin: Keep your eyes peeled for an updated Stripe plugin that will make integrating with Stripe easier and faster.

Further down the roadmap

• Version control changelog: One of the pain points you’ve expressed with version control is understanding what changed, when it changed, and who made the change in their branches. We’re scoping a potential project to expose a changelog in the editor. It would allow you to see all the changes made in the current branch — by individuals or through merges — at a glance and filter down to specific subsets of changes.

• Workflow tab redesign: The team is rethinking the way we organize and visualize workflows in the workflow tab. We’re learning a lot from user interviews and feedback, so stay tuned for more updates in the coming months!

• Expanded component library: We’re looking into adding new components that would make it easier and faster for new users to build popular use cases like marketplaces, dashboards, and more.

Help us spread the word about How to Build Day

On March 6, we’re hosting a live event called How to Build Day. It’s ‌designed for people who are relatively early in their Bubble journey: those who are looking to either get to launch or take their app to the next level. We’ll be holding build-alongs and live Q&As on building backend workflows, using the API connector, and more — and I’ll personally be teaching a quick introductory session!

The event’s save-the-date page is live now. Please share it with any folks you know who might be interested in attending!

In case you missed it

• We published a few fantastic customer stories last month: Check out fintech startup BluBinder, helping folks navigate the paperwork involved in eldercare; Airspace, whose Bubble app allows their client to coordinate fast transportation for organ donations; and Flexiple, a global talent marketplace for developers.

• Razorpay, India’s largest payment processor, now has an official Bubble plugin! Read more about it here.

• We published a quick walk-through of using the ‘:group-by’ operator to help you visualize data more effectively.

Team news

We added two new folks to the team this month: Kelsey, joining us as finance and business operations lead, and Cheyanne, joining us as senior ecosystem associate. Welcome, Kelsey and Cheyanne!

And yes, we are hiring! Check out all our open roles here.

Have a great month!

— Josh and Emmanuel

48 Likes

Could you increase the minimum price of a template or just lift that restriction completely.

Screen Shot 2024-02-02 at 1.05.35 AM

Lifting the restriction completely will help build a better marketplace as developers could offer more robust templates, which in turn will likely help with subscribers for Bubble because if the templates are like real turn key apps, then the purchaser will most likely be a subscriber ready to launch a business.

Also, could we get a full fledged refund policy on templates? Making so that there is a clear time to request a refund. It seems that there is a very strong chance that users may purchase a template, copy all features and elements into another app and request a refund a couple weeks later, which are automatically provided.

Would also be nice if support, when receiving a refund request would loop the developer in so as to give them an opportunity in assisting the purchaser to try and find an alternative solution, or at the least be notified of the reason for the refund request. Having information regarding common refund request reasons will help template developers build better products and manage their business better.

12 Likes

Thanks for the updates Josh…

I’m so excited to start testing out the mobile app builder soon…

2 Likes

Fantastico todos os esforços e lançamentos, parabéns a equipe.

Principalmente o “return data from custom events”. :heart_eyes:

Estava esperando ansioso esse recurso.

Hi @josh

It’s still not clear whether the mobile version will include offline-first functionality, or whether an internet connection will still be required to function. Will you clear this up?

Thanks

2 Likes

Tks for the updates @josh. It seems that Bubble started 2024 at high speed!

About this update. Please, help us with a MUST HAVE use case of a B2B SaaS. Where we bind the payments not to a “User” but to a “Company”. Which means that we should be able to choose a custom Type to bind on our app as a Stripe Client.

One nice to have feature would be inputing a promotional code from the workflow of “charge current user” and “subscribe current user to a plan”. Now we can only allow them to input promotional codes checking the respective box. Would be nice if we could already input a static or dynamic promotional code for the user.

On the company table, add a “stripe_user” field and use that user in all stripe transactions.

This is awesome stuff Josh, you guys are making good on your promises.

Will the new mobile app builder be Bubble wrapped, or truly native? If so, what is the foundation? React? Flutter?

Sure, we can do it using API Connector or even the Stripe.js plugin. But would be awesome to have the possibility to change the Stripe User using the native plugin. It automatically look for and use the type “User” on the workflows.
What I wanted would be to specify witch type to use on the Bubble native Stripe plugin, so we could point it to a company table/type instead of the standard User one.

Hey Josh,

I kicked off my project back in 2020, putting in a solid year’s worth of effort and shelling out over $100k. I used a mix of React.js, React Native, .NET Core, and Python to get things going. Unfortunately, I hit a snag due to partnering with the wrong developer and having the wrong strategy in place. But hey, I’ve decided to take matters into my own hands this time around.

Over the past year, I’ve been grinding away, learning the ropes and building. It hasn’t been a walk in the park, not by a long shot. But guess what? I finally managed to publish my first project using Bubble! Huge shoutout to the Bubble team for making that possible. Now, I’m psyched to push my businesses to the next level with you guys.

On that note, I’d like to put in a request. It would be awesome if you could extend some support to startups like mine, helping us carry this heavy load.

Cheers!

8 Likes

Expanded component library

@josh If you allow us developers to create custom components, you’ll lift the burden from your side.