Multi-word tags | Adding multiple things into a list from one input field

I’m using the Multi Dropdown element to enter tags, but would like the user to be able to enter multi-word tags. For example, I’m tying artists to a song and would like the user to enter the artist’s full name, such as Elvis Presley. Right now I can only get the tags to be one word. When I go to add the space between the first and last name it creates a tag for just the first name.

The reasons that I’m trying to use Multi Dropdown is that sometimes a song can be two or more artists who collaborated.

Is there any way to change this? Should I be using a different input?

2 Likes

@NigelG Is this something you know how to do?

Another option is to create an add fuction similar to the one when adding an entry into the DB. Is there a tutorial on how to do this?

input artist

Yes, I think it should be possible.

So if they enter “Elvis Presley” you want to create tags for “Elvis” and “Presley” ?

@NigelG no, I’d like to have just one tag that is “Elvis Presley.” Right now it creates two tags. “Elvis” and “Presley”

Where are you entering the tags ?

I’m using a multi dropdown input to enter the tags.

Ah, ok, I think I get it now.

So you have tags which are single words … and you want to enter multiple words to build up a tag ? So “Elvis” and “Presley” gives “Elvis Presely” and “Elvis” and “Costello” gives “Elvis Costello” ?

@NigelG Simply put, I just want the user to be able to type Elvis Presley and the tag becomes “Elvis Presley.”

Yes, but that is not part of the multi drop-down.

I know that now. Yet, it should be. It would make adding multiple entries to a list much easier.

Are you aware of another way to accomplish adding multiple entries to a list similar to how you can add multiple items in the data tab?

artistadd

Do you want the user to be able to add it ? Or is it an admin thing ?

You can have an input field, and add that to the database ?

The user needs to be able to add new artists or select from currently entered artists.

I will put together an example, that might be easier.

Ok, so this is an example of the multidropdown, with a box to add in “new” items, and the new item gets added to the selection (which is probably the tricky bit) when you add it.

https://blockexamples.bubbleapps.io/version-test/multitag?debug_mode=true

https://bubble.io/page?type=page&name=multitag&id=blockexamples&tab=tabs-2

The multidropdown works as standard, but it has a default set to a custom state. The custom state is kept in line with the values in the multidropdown, but gets added to when a new Artist is added, and then you reset the group to reset the values to add the new value.

5 Likes

Thanks a ton, Nigel! That’s what I needed.

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.