[New Feature] Using Sendgrid for emails

We’ve just pushed an improvement to how we handle emails for your apps. We now let you use your own Sendgrid accounts (which offers quite some emails for free). This enables you to see all the emails that have been sent, get some analytics, see your reputation as an email sender, etc.

All apps on a domain (from now on) will be using this new system to send an email using the domain (otherwise it’ll be using admin-no-reply@bubble.is). Once you’ve successfully set up your A records for your domain, you’ll be able to enter your API key in the Settings Tab, Domain & Email section. Just click ‘Check my Sendgrid key’ and you’ll be good to go.

Apps that are already on a domain will continue to work as usual, and if you enter your key and verify it, you’ll be automatically on the new system.

20 Likes

Do we need an SendGrid account for each app?

You can generate from your account different API keys for each one of your app, so you’re able to track your stats.

1 Like

Thanks for this feature.

@emmanuel Would it be possible to select (api call here) in the Domain & Email tab one template from our SendGrid account and specify it in the send call (adding template_id) ?

Without turning all our “send email” actions into new actions throught the API connector, we could provide good looking emails like this one :

2 Likes

I’ll see what we can do.

1 Like

Just pushed that.

4 Likes

:+1: can’t wait to try. Very good timing. I love those options:

1 Like

Would you mind sharing an example? i have tried to work with this, but apparently my skills are not good enough :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey,
after your sendgrid account is set, you create a new template, then an new version of this template and you copy its ID in your Email & Domain settings :

Have you done this already ?

1 Like

Yes. i have done that

1 Like

Anyone else started to use successfully?

I’ve just tired and it works well. Did you let the field <%subject%> in your template ?

but how did you manage to edit the template from bubble? yes i have the field <%subject%>

you can’t edit your template from Bubble. The <%subject%> will be automaticaly replaced by the body field from your “Send email” action
If you need to use more templates, then you’ll need the API Connector and to specify the template_id you want.

2 Likes

Hi again

I think that the <%body%> is replaced by the by the body field from your “Send email” action.
It’s a little bit limited still. How much were you able to personalize?

regards

For example, are you able to add buttons from sendgrid?

The only variable for this default transactional template is <%body%>. Consider it as an email with a good layout, no more.
For more personalizations, like a button, you’ll need the API connector. See here and here.

1 Like

Is it possible to send dynamic data to the email templates in Sendgrid through bubble, e.g. DB values?

No, are this stage the template is static. But you could build your own integration with the API connector.

1 Like

Thanks. Hmm, own integration. I’ll think some more about that when I come to that. I think the emails will be very static if not being able to customize per user or action, e.g. an order confirmation email with static info.